Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 97 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

?

Default Re: Post your death notices

Wllibald Rupprecht, an Oberjager in a Gebirgsjager Regiment.....died on April 4, 1943.

A real combat Vet, he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class, the romanian award “Barbati si Credinta”, the Infantry Assault Badge, the Wounded Badge in silver, the East Medal and other decorations.
    He was killed in the heavy fighting in the Caucusus in the area of Krymskaja. I'm guessing he might have been part of the fighting the previous day, when the Soviets attacked the German held Kuban Bridgehead just west of Krymskaja. His Grave/body was never found
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

?

Next is Gefrieter Hans Loher. He suffered shots in the stomach and hip on March 7, 1942 and was sent to a Hospital in Smolensk, where he died almost a month later!! He was buried a couple days after his death at 2/591 Smolensk Cemetery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

?

Karl Stetter, Gefreiter in an Infantry Regt died in Noworossijsk on Sept 6, 1942. The Germans announced the capture of Novorossiysk on this day. Novorossiysk was the key port of the Soviet Black Sea fleet since the fall of Sevastopol. (also in the area of heavy fighting in 1943, Kuban Bridgehead/Krymsk/etc)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices  

Guys, I have really liked what this thread has become. There's something remarkably sobering and engaging about being able to put the faces and uniforms to the battles themselves. I haven't picked up one of these in a while, but I think the rest of you are doing a great job.

The location of his death is on the place where the assault has commenced, near Aleshinka. Source: II. - . 1937 -1942 .

Post your death noticesPost your death notices

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Gefreiter in a Panzer Regiment, Otto Blattner died on August 18, 1942 in the swampy/muddy fighting in/around Shisdra.

Otto was most probably in the 9th Panzer Division during Operation Wirbelwind, starting a week before Otto's death. (the 4th and 11th Pz Divs were just outside of Shisdra). Operation Wirbelwind was a effort to try and pinch off the Russian salient protruding to the west between Ssuchinitschi and Juchnoff. The fighting was very very tough, with muddy/swampy terrain which resulted in slow movement and heavy losses for infantry and tanks. The terrain full of obstacles, Mines, and fortified positions, which hindered the movements both for combat and for logistical support and medical evacuations. On August 18th (the day of Ottos death), the Russians launched a counterattack in the area which rendered heavy losses, just as the previous days had been. The 9 pz Div's rifle companies were down to 10-15 men each!! Days later, the Fuhrer and Von Kluge had decided to discontinue the operation because of such heavy losses and the nearly impossible terrain. Also mentioned in the daily reports is that the 9 Pz Div was completely outnumbered. However, the continued action and attempts on this front were not over. The 9th Pz Div was then withdrawn to the area of Kirov, to fight alongside the GrossDeutschland Div.

?

Evgeni, is this the location for "Gretnja"? (sorry, having trouble reading the Russian and it doesn't show up on the English version). If so, thank you very much!
    The card says he was fighting around "Gretnja"/ Shisdra. I tried all types of spelling for this location, and still found nothing. He is also not listed on the VBund site, if I remember correctly.
    When I saw the date of his death and Shisdra together, I immediately thought of 9 Pz Div.

Yes it is, the first screenshot is Gretnja, its even mentioned in the source I send you over, contains wealth of info! It is also possible that its part of 19 Panzer Division (mentioned the crossing in the area together with 9th Panzer division)

Evgeni, is this the location for "Gretnja"? (sorry, having trouble reading the Russian and it doesn't show up on the English version). If so, thank you very much!
    The card says he was fighting around "Gretnja"/ Shisdra. I tried all types of spelling for this location, and still found nothing. He is also not listed on the VBund site, if I remember correctly.
    When I saw the date of his death and Shisdra together, I immediately thought of 9 Pz Div.

Krimskaya was a linking pin to the whole defense of the Kuban bridgehead, there are a lot of cards associated with this ares, mostly GJ.

Wllibald Rupprecht, an Oberjager in a Gebirgsjager Regiment.....died on April 4, 1943.

A real combat Vet, he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class, the romanian award “Barbati si Credinta”, the Infantry Assault Badge, the Wounded Badge in silver, the East Medal and other decorations.
    He was killed in the heavy fighting in the Caucusus in the area of Krymskaja. I'm guessing he might have been part of the fighting the previous day, when the Soviets attacked the German held Kuban Bridgehead just west of Krymskaja. His Grave/body was never found

?

Quote by Evgeni M View Post
    Yes it is, the first screenshot is Gretnja, its even mentioned in the source I send you over, contains wealth of info! It is also possible that its part of 19 Panzer Division (mentioned the crossing in the area together with 9th Panzer division)
    Awesome! Thank you. It is frustrating sometimes not being able to read Russian, as there is a lot of good info in your language. I look forward to doing a little more research into this one. And yes, you are right about Krymskaja/Kuban....4th GJ Division played a major role, so its common to see these GJ cards.

?

Heres an interesting and sad one.....given to me as a gift from a friend, who has the entire grouping of this man. Out of respect to him, I wont post the name/etc. However this Oberfeldwebel is a double tank destruction badge/Sonderabzeichen winner, both of which were awarded simultaneously late 1942. He was killed during the battle of Orel while serving with a Panzerjager battalion in July 1943.

Page 25 of 97 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 ... LastLast