Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 32 of 97 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Many thanks indeed for the above
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Quote by StefanM

I don't normally collect these but it so happened that I came across this death notice on eBay, or similar, whilst I was researching a veteran book manuscript about Polish [I
    7 Dywizja Piechoty Armia Krajowa[/I], (Home Army or AK) operating in the Radomsko, Włoszczowa and Częstochowa sectors of occupied Poland. The unit was involved in a major battle with German forces in the Częstochowa sector in late August 1944 which would coincide with the 31 August 1944 date on the death notice and the reference to soldier being wounded(?) by "Banditen (Bandits)"— the German euphemism used for the Polish underground fighters —and subsequently dying in a war hospital in Częstochowa....if my limited German is correct.

Nice card i am waiting for a Warsaw september 1944 KIA card

Look forward to seeing the Warsaw KIA card. I have not seen one from the Rising, 1944.

I assume death notices like these are even scarcer for those Germans killed in the Ghetto Uprising in 1943?

Stefan the Warsaw death card arrived.

Nachname: Greiter
    Vorname: Johann
    Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
    Geburtsdatum: 17.04.1921
    Geburtsort: Apfeltwang
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 15.09.1944
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Warschau
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Thanks for posting this one, Kevin.

I don't recall there being a German war grave cemetery in today's Warszawa?

This is what was happening September 14 -17 1944 from the Polish insurgents perspective in the Powstanie Warszawskie - Warsaw Rising or "rebellion in Warsaw" as the death card describes it:

Sept. 14
    The Tadeusz Kosciuszko First Division captures Praga. In Czerniakow, Lieutenant Colonel 'Radoslaw' concentrates his units closer to the Vistula to secure the area, in order to enable the Soviet Army to set up a beachhead. In Southern City Centre, insurgents attempting to recapture St. Lazarus Hospital are stopped.

Sept. 15
    A Kosciuszko division patrol crosses in the morning to Czerniakow, establishing contact with a liaison officer of 'Radoslaw'. At night, 300 well-armed soldiers from the First Division cross to the left bank of the Vistula. The Germans, with support from the air, use everything at their disposal to keep the insurgents from the Vistula.

Sept. 16
    The first airdrops with assistance for insurgents from Soviet aircraft are made. Czerniakow AK units consolidated with the First Division soldiers fight off strong attacks.

Sept. 17
    One more party of Kosciuszko Division soldiers, altogether about 1,200, lands during two days. After landing, they assume defensive positions with AK units in Czerniakow, launching counterattacks.

I i can follow the volksbund he is still not recovered.
    This is what they say about the cemetery in Warsaw.

Warschau

Im nördlichen Stadtgebiet der Landeshauptstadt befindet sich der zentrale Stadtfriedhof. Hier wurde 1990 ein Zubettungsfriedhof für gefallene deutsche Soldaten des Zweiten Weltkrieges mit einer Fläche von 760 m² eingerichtet.

Zurzeit ruhen hier rund 340 Gefallene, die im Stadtgebiet und in einigen anderen Ortschaften geborgen wurden. Auf den Namenplatten beim zentralen Gedenkplatz mit einem Hochkreuz aus Granit sind die Namen der hier Ruhenden sowie auch die Namen der im Stadtgebiet nicht zu bergenden Soldaten verzeichnet.
    Das Gräberfeld befindet sich im Quartier XVI/XVII - 5 uns ist auf den Übersichtsplänen mit dem Volksbundsymbol (Kreuze) gekennzeichnet.
    Die Einweihung der Anlage fand am 6. Oktober 1991 statt.

Kazimierza Wóycickiego
    Warszawa
    Last edited by Kevin Grootaers; 03-20-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks Kevin...I did not know that this existed.

Attachment 663459Attachment 663460Here is the only one I have so far. I don't have my notes handy and my memory is terrible. I believe Otto here was an engineer and died February 14 1942 somewhere in the eastern front.

I have found him on volksbund.
    They have not yet found his body. He is still buried in Tscherentschizy

Nachname: Vohburger
    Vorname: Otto
    Dienstgrad: Obergefreiter
    Geburtsdatum: 09.09.1899
    Geburtsort: Oberhausen
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 14.02.1942
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Tscherentschizy

Quote by Kevin Grootaers View Post
    Stefan the Warsaw death card arrived.

Nachname: Greiter
    Vorname: Johann
    Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
    Geburtsdatum: 17.04.1921
    Geburtsort: Apfeltwang
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 15.09.1944
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Warschau
    Hi Kevin,

There is another copy of this death card for sale on eBay:

orig. STERBEBILD - DEATH CARD - AUFSTAND WARSCHAU - POLEN 1944 - Warsaw Uprising | eBay

Page 32 of 97 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 ... LastLast