Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 37 of 96 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Just got a few new cards and have trouble reading the name (first card) and location of the death on the second card (Jlucin CSR). What does CSR stands for?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Post your death noticesPost your death notices

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

The name in question is Toni Iller.

ČSR is the abbreviation for the Czechoslovak Republic [Czech: Československá republika / German: Tschechoslowakische Republik] as used from 1920 to 1938 and again from 1945 to 1960.

Thanks a lot!

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The name in question is Toni Iller.

ČSR is the abbreviation for the Czechoslovak Republic [Czech: Československá republika / German: Tschechoslowakische Republik] as used from 1920 to 1938 and again from 1945 to 1960.
    You beat me to it!....

The name of the soldier is Toni Isser. Here is his entry in the Volksbund Database.

Nachname: Isser
    Vorname: Anton
    Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
    Geburtsdatum: 25.03.1920
    Geburtsort: Pfons
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 01.04.1942
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Südostw.Milajewka

Anton Isser wurde noch nicht auf einen vom Volksbund errichteten Soldatenfriedhof überführt.

I could have sworn they were Ls and not Ss!....

Thanks a lot, its Isser indeed! Was able to find both places. its 15 km from Lyuban (the person died during Lyuban offensive), 5th GJ

The Romanian Medal is called "Barbatie si credinta" and the piece displayed near the death card could not have been awarded to the soldier. This medal is a 1903 model, 1st class, civilian issue. The german soldier must have had this medal (1938 issue) with swords, which presents some differences from the 1903 model
    Best regards
    Sever

I only have two death notices and this is the latest one I got:

It commemorates Frantz Xavier Moosbauer which was an Oberwachtmeister in the Schutzpolizei. He was born Feb. 14th, 1903 in Neuschönau and died at age 41 on June 30th, 1944 close to the city of Borrisow (Baryssau in the Republic of Belarus ---Barysaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). This would have been the day before this city was officially liberated, July, 1st and judging by what's noted on him by the Volksbund his body was never recovered.
    Looking into this some more I was able to deduce that he might have been part of either Kampfgruppe von Gottberg or possibly Kampfgruppe Hannibal (?) under Heeresgruppe Mitte during the onslaught of Operation Bagration. Anti-Partisan operations prior to this etc.... I'm sure, some nasty history there.

Post your death notices

Some info on Kampfgruppe von Gottberg (couldn't find much on KG Hannibal and I seem unable to locate the source in which I initially found this lead):

(rough Google translation)

On June 20, 1944 Curt von Gottberg was appointed SS and Police Leader of Belarus (SS- und Polizeiführer Weißruthenien). Two days later began the Soviet summer offensive Operation Bagration , which had the reconquest of Belarus by the Red Army as its main objective. The 3rd German Panzer Army suffered heavy losses in Vitebsk and the battle group of Curt von Gottberg was used to defend the runway Borisov - Orsha . KG von Gottberg which was specialized in anti-partisan activities was no match for the Soviet 5th Guards Tank Army equipped with IS-2 type tanks. The Kampfgruppe was pushed back to Borisov on June 27, 1944 where it was reinforced by the German 5th Panzer Division . At the same time also the Kaminski Brigade moved from Lepel back towards the west. There, units from Gottberg's Kampfgruppe formed part of the formation of a bridgehead against the Red Army , which was maintained until 30 June 1944.

I found that in 1944 this KG was comprised of these units, among other smaller ones:

Brigade "Dirlewanger"
    Brigade "Kaminski"
    SS-Pol.-Rgt. 2
    SS-Pol.-Rgt. 24
    III./Pol.-Rgt. 31
    II./Pol.-Rgt. 36

other possible units in this KG:

Pol.-Rgt. 17(?)
    Sicherungs-Rgt. 64
    PiBtl. 743

Corrections on this info and other relevant info that may be had from the death notice in relation to possible units are more than welcomed!

Thanks for posting! Coincidentally, I was reading the OKW War Diary last night concerning Bagration, and it mentions that rear-area "Sicherungs-truppen" were being thrown into battle in the attempt to withstand the Soviet advance, but that they are being wiped out as they aren't suitably trained/equipped for "Grosskampf"--(Main Battle)...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 37 of 96 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 ... LastLast