Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Questions regarding Feldpostbrief

Article about: Hello guys, I have this Feldpostbrief wich is written on 5. July 1943 by Soldat Willy Schiele. I don't have questions about the translation, but more about the Soldat and his unit. So far I

?

Default Questions regarding Feldpostbrief

Hello guys,

I have this Feldpostbrief wich is written on 5. July 1943 by Soldat Willy Schiele. I don't have questions about the translation, but more about the Soldat and his unit.
    So far I know this:
    Soldat W. Schiele served with the 3. Lichtmess Batterie leichte Beobachtung Abteilung 27.
    This unit was transfered from the Ostfront to the West in 1944. Soldat Schiele's Todesdatum is 24. June 1944 and he is buried at the Kriegsgräberstätte in Versaille.

What I would like to know is, what kind of unit was the 3. Lichtmess Batterie and what could the task of Soldat Schiele be? I have problems figuring this out and your help is very much appreciated.

Regards, Rik
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questions regarding Feldpostbrief   Questions regarding Feldpostbrief  

Questions regarding Feldpostbrief  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questions regarding Feldpostbrief
    P
    Many

A Lichtmeßbatterie is a flash-ranging battery (as opposed to a Schallmeßbatterie = sound-ranging battery).

Lichtmessen is the method of locating enemy weapons and adjusting one's own fire by spotting flashes from at least two observation posts.

?

HPL you are fantastic. You have sure answered my question, that is great information.

Thank you very much!