Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran

Article about: Hi Monuir that would be great, thanks for the offer. Can discuss over PM if you would like. If she accepts paypal then that will work

?

Default Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran

Hello all,

Received a feldpost today written by a known officer Oblt., H. Messerschmidt, onboard the auxiliary cruiser Kormoran.

German auxiliary cruiser Kormoran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kormoran was caught by HMAS Sydney off the Western Australian coast in November 1941, and both ships were destroyed. 318 from the Kormoran, including the letter's author survived the battle. There were no survivors from the Sydney.

Battle between HMAS Sydney and German auxiliary cruiser Kormoran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a photo of the author:

File:Kormoran senior officers.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some photos of it.

I'll take some hi-res scans of it tomorrow and post those up. Any help translating would be deeply appreciated. I'm planning to donate this to a museum somewhere .

Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser KormoranRare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser KormoranRare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser KormoranRare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser KormoranRare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran

A great piece of Aussie history! ..... thanks for showing it ( and it's a noble gesture to donate it .... I think a lot of us would donate if we knew the museum wasn't going to archive the item away in a dusty corner somewhere )

If they do that, then it may as well stay in circulation with the collecting public! IMO
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Very nice! The cruise of the Kormoran is very interesting.And so is the grand finale battle with the HMAS Sydney.
    I accept donations to my "museum." Awesome piece! Thanks for showing.

Luke

?

Hello all,

Here are some scans of the pages. I hate to presume, but if someone feels like having a crack at translation it would be wonderful

Rare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser KormoranRare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser KormoranRare feldpost - Auxiliary cruiser Kormoran

A very desirable document

great to see!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I should say that the condition of this letter is incredible. It's so crisp it feels like it was folded just yesterday.

According to an expert on the Kormoran, the ship had been narrowly missed during an RAF bombing raid a few days before the letter was written. In contrast to my other feldposts (which sadly I know very little about the authors), it feels like the history is just oozing out of the paper.

The fact that the author was alive until just a few years ago is the icing on the cake

Too me, feldpost(ii?) are so much more tangible than medals or awards. They are also so easy to acquire if you have a small budget. A good way to get into collection

?

Hey guys, I'm really sorry to bump this again - but if someone could please, please, have a crack at some translation work it would be wonderful.

I'm more than happy to send some money to the forum as a thankyou, and have done so before

Any luck yet on a translation? I really hope someone can help you out. Curious to know what it says. Did you get this from a dealer?

Luke

?

Hi rogge,

Not yet, I'm waiting patiently though Of course, I don't expect someone to just come along and feel obligated to sit there and do it.

Yes I bought it off Thomas Huss, of German Historica.

?

Hi, nice piece.

I have been collecting feldpost for some time and I have a translator to translate my most valuable feldpost letters. I could send you her email if you are interested, she really is terrific. It would not cost more then 10 GBP.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast