Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Reisepass maked "J" -

Article about: Hi Guys, I collect firearms and field gear - this is not in my wheel house. It was within a small document lot I have had some time. I posted pictures on an FB collecting forum and had a num

Default Reisepass marked "J" - dated 1939

Hi Guys,

I collect firearms and field gear - this is not in my wheel house.
    It was within a small document lot I have had some time.
    I posted pictures on an FB collecting forum and had a number of offers to buy.
    I looked on line and found wildly different values listed for "J" marked passports -
    What is the opinion on this one, price-wise - ?
    (BTW If anyone is actually related to Schlesinger, I will send it free of charge to them.)

What I could determine from the stamps:
    Not terribly exciting now, but representative of quite a story at one time.
    This ReisePass (German passport) belonged to Fritz Schlesinger.
    Fritz was Jewish so his passport is stamped with a red J (stamp is dated 2/8/39) -
    Fritz was born in 1921 so he was 18 or so when he used this passport in 1939.
    I think Fritz may have been able avoid the fate of so many innocents, as he was able to obtain a UK visa in Berlin (Aug 7 1939), and then arrived in Harwich Aug 28 1939) -
    Just an old passport now - but someone's dramatic experience at one time - Fritz travelled alone, so who knows whether he left family in Berlin, or not. Regardless it must have been a memory to have traveled out of Berlin at that time - just under the wire.

Last edited by pitfighter; 08-10-2015 at 08:36 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I would say a fair offer on the reisepass is 400 to 500.... Ive sold 3 or 4 of them in the past 3 years.... Good luck!!!

Thank you, Macapple - this one may get donated - my karma could use some credit

MAP
    ?

This gentleman was extremely lucky to get out a little over a month before the start of the war.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    Thank you, Macapple - this one may get donated - my karma could use some credit

Awesome to hear you are going to donate it!!! I rescued a Auschwitz inmate photo just to donate it... The guy in the photo was a Jehova's Witness , and turns out the USHHM has very little material from Jehova's Witness.. I plan on donating it in person soon once I visit the museum in October.

Hi, a very rarely seen item, I hope it goes to a good home. Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway