Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Sport Badge Group

Article about: Hey everyone. First of all, sorry for the bad picture, as it is night and the lighting inside my house is not very good. I recently acquired this medal group attributed to an SA member. howe

Default SA Sport Badge Group

Hey everyone. First of all, sorry for the bad picture, as it is night and the lighting inside my house is not very good. I recently acquired this medal group attributed to an SA member. however, I can not decipher his name. is there anyone out there who can possibly solve this mystery for me. My other question is if there is any way to research this individual and figure out more about him?

Cheers, Warbuff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Sport Badge Group  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Sport Badge Group
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Can't help with the name, but very nice pick-up!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A nice group, I think that it is Gerhard somebody or other! That's no use I know but hopefully HPL will be able to help, send him a PM, he may give you the low down. Leon.

?

Leon is right, the first name is for sure Gerhard. And the last name starts with Lüg or Lüy, but that's as much as I can make out of it.

The name is Gerhard Luyken.

Thanks for all the input guys! Is there any way to find more information on him? I searched his name in Google but sadly came up with nothing.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The name is Gerhard Luyken.
    I have no idea 1) how you can read this old German script, I have had 70 yr old German teachers not able to read stuff I bring in to them lol and 2) your brain power is still mind blowing. What nootropins do you take? hahaha

Many 70 yr old German teachers have never learned to read Sütterlin or writings a-like.
    Many Germans can't even properly read the Gothic script, I have found out through the years.

HPL2008 is a "tower of strength" for us all at WRF!

Quote by warbuff View Post
    Is there any way to find more information on him? I searched his name in Google but sadly came up with nothing.
    He served as a military officer in WW2 and met his fate in the Ukraine: Hauptmann Gerhard Albert Walter Luyken was KIA on 30 Sept. 1943 near the "Oktoberfeld" in the Rayon Melitopol. His name is registered on a memorial at the German military cemetery in Kirowograd (source: online database of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge [German War Graves Commission]).

Quote by Duff View Post
    I have no idea 1) how you can read this old German script, I have had 70 yr old German teachers not able to read stuff I bring in to them lol and 2) your brain power is still mind blowing. What nootropins do you take? hahaha
    Not to worry, I am on nothing but black coffee. It's a self-taught skill and a matter of practice. However, that isn't to say it is easy for me. Far from it: Sütterlin can be a pain in the neck to decypher, and sometimes - if done in poor, sloppy handwriting - I find it all but impossible.

?

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Many 70 yr old German teachers have never learned to read Sütterlin or writings a-like.
    Many Germans can't even properly read the Gothic script, I have found out through the years.

HPL2008 is a "tower of strength" for us all at WRF!
    I can agree with you there! My first German teacher was about 71, she had a sister coming from Germany for Thanksgiving so I lent her a shoe-box full of documents some years back. Her sister was supposed to be very proficient in such writings as she was older than my teacher and lived through these times. However, even she couldn't read everything... Much was "she couldn't read it." In any case, it just means I need to become profcient. haha viel Glueck to me! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast