Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

the same Szallla?

Article about: hi guys, check this out.... i've been trawling round the net as one does and i've found another doc for sale at auction, not only is it signed by Manstein like mine but i think its to do wit

cgoracle
    ?

Default the same Szallla?

hi guys, check this out.... i've been trawling round the net as one does and i've found another doc for sale at auction, not only is it signed by Manstein like mine but i think its to do with the same guy Major Szalla. wot do you guys think? Bizarre i'd say!!!

Ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture the same Szallla?  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: the same Szallla?

Very interesting definately the same man and same award , you'll have to try and get your hands on this doc as well
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

cgoracle
    ?

I've emailed the auction house to see if they'll pass on the details of the buyer although I'm sure company policy wouldn't allow!! What was interesting about the above document is that it is actually saying he doesn't deserve the award. Obviously that was over-ruled.

Ian

?

Fretter-Pico must have reapplied for the award in November himself and put it through Hube for support , that might explain the high level chain of signatures.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

cgoracle
    ?

I think the guys who said he didnt deserve it was 'mauntefell' or something similar. i'll go check it out.

Ian

cgoracle
    ?

Found the text.
    (1887-1973) German field marshal who devised the plan to conquer France, held various commands on the Russian front, sacked by Hitler for a retreat. Unusual war-dated typed D.S., 1p. legal folio, "Headquarters, Army Group South High Command", July 11, 1943 to the Army High Command Personnel Office concerning the award of a German Cross in Silver to Signal Battalion Reserve Major Hans Szalla. Manteuffel denies that Szalla deserves the award: "...in the advance to the Caucasus...and in the Defense Campaign on the Don in Winter 1942...provided leadership even in difficult personal situations and was undaunted in his management. In full recognition of the merits of this proposed award, I cannot recommend it. There is no single instance where decisive action has influenced war conduct...a letter was sent to the Chief of Staff of the Commanding General [to that effect]...". Signed in his usual. File holes at left margin, typical light toning, else fine. Regardless of von Manstein's condemnation, Szalla received his award on Dec. 24, 1943.

Ian

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.