Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch

Article about: Hi All, I Picked this piece up from the WAF a few months back, and thought I'd share it with all of you. The soldbuch belonged to gerfreiter Josef Gerards who served with Grenadier Regiment

Default Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch

Hi All,

I Picked this piece up from the WAF a few months back, and thought I'd share it with all of you. The soldbuch belonged to gefreiter Josef Gerards who served with Grenadier Regiment 1051 of the 84th Infanterie Division. From what I can tell, Gerards was probably KIA or wounded while fighting in the Falaise gap in August of 44. Gerards doesn't appear in the volksbund database despite the obvious blood stained rear cover and serious shrapnel damage to the soldbuch, so perhaps he survived his wound. These scans make the rear staining appear far darker than it really is. When viewed in natural lighting the staining is quite clearly a blood hue.

Regards,

-Jake
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch   Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch  

Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch   Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch  

Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch  
    Last edited by Fallschirmjager1941; 06-11-2017 at 11:53 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch
    P
    Many

?

If it were shrapnel damage wouldn't you think there'd be a bit of blood if this was on someones person?

Regards,
    Bas

The rear cover displays blood. I have seen other soldbuchs with battle damage with less blood, usually seen with bullet holes though.
    For reference here is a similar soldbuch with shrapnel damage to KIA soldat: Soldbuch with an Interesting History - Page 2 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Regards,

-Jake

MAP
    ?

Nice interesting piece. You can see the book slowed down the piece of shrapnel. Maybe to the point of saving the soldier??? Guess we will never know.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Fallschirmjager1941 View Post
    The rear cover displays blood. I have seen other soldbuchs with battle damage with less blood, usually seen with bullet holes though.
    For reference here is a similar soldbuch with shrapnel damage to KIA soldat: Soldbuch with an Interesting History - Page 2 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Regards,

-Jake
    I see the stains now, yes, sorry for the preemptive response. Very interesting piece nonetheless. Of all the places the shrapnel could have hit it'd be right hrough the middle! Chilling item.

Regards,
    Bas

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice interesting piece. You can see the book slowed down the piece of shrapnel. Maybe to the point of saving the soldier??? Guess we will never know.
    Possibly a prong shape. What would have slowed it down was the shrapnel itself going into the body. Thus the blood.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gimmie View Post
    Possibly a prong shape. What would have slowed it down was the shrapnel itself going into the body. Thus the blood.
    Not saying the soldier wasn't wounded, but the size of the hole decreases as it goes through the book. And thus maybe, just maybe lessening the impact....but just a guess/thought
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I like neat and odd pieces like this

Could have been in his breast pocket. There are cases of a soldiers New Testament stopping a bullet, the paper pages acting like a laminated shield.

When I first looked at the page damage, it looked to me like a stabbing hole from a blade....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast