Signed U boat Photo

Article about: Hi guys I have see a few of these on eBay just wondering if the signature would be original. UB3 WWII WW2 U-boat Captain WITTE KC hand signed photo | eBay thanks Morris

Default Signed U boat Photo

Hi guys

I have see a few of these on eBay just wondering if the signature would be original.

UB3 WWII WW2 U-boat Captain WITTE KC hand signed photo | eBay

thanks Morris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Signed U boat Photo

anyone ?

?

Can you post the images please. When the auction ends, the photos go and wr have a useless thread where no-one can see what the thread is about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	466858
    The best Ebay will give me, the comment underneath states

"Each photo measures 5" by 7" with a white border on all sides with the signature handsigned on the specially elongated bottom margin.
    The photograph is from the 1939-1945 period and has been reproduced and then signed by Korvettenkapitan Witte Knights Cross. The photo is accompanied by a brief career history.
    This signed photo forms part of a limited edition of U-boat Commanders signed Photograph Series many of whom were awarded the Knight's Cross for their actions. This is number 3 in the series of 10 Photographs so far issued, produced by ourselves. Each photograph has been handsigned and they are all numbered and certified on the reverse. Each photograph is a limited edition of 150."

It dose state "hand Signed" im just looking for others opinions

Morris

- - Updated - -

if you go to the link it has a bigger image, it cant be copied or saved.

?

To be honest Morris, I wouldn't waste my time or money. The photo is a modern reproduction as stated and the signature may or may not be real, you note the seller doesn't actually tell how he managed to obtain the signature nor any of the other 10 signed photos in the series.

My best guess based on this image and from reading the seller's description - and reading between the lies - is that this is a plain reproduction of a signed wartime photo which was signed at the time and therefore the signature is part of the print or else someone has copied it by hand (hand written) onto the photo produced by the seller.

Either way you would be better off saving that 20 and putting or towards a genuine wartime photo or signature or send me the 20, I'll photocopy it and send the copy back to you......

It clearly states in the description that the photograph is a reproduction.

The signature could easily be real. Alot of these veterans do this quite often. They are contacted through veterans associations and are quite happy to sign reproduced photographs, book plate's and such like, they are happy to do so as long as donations are made.
    I would contact the seller and confirm how they signature was aquired

I have had a number of signed SAS books in the past, they were aquired through contacting the vet's association and making donations to the appropriate vets association

EDIT: Otto Funk was well known for signing photo;s and such like until his death last year

Nice, I have never bought any militaria off ebay and i was very suspicious to its origin. Thanks for the help.............might swing that 20 pounds into a few pints.
    Morris

?

This is a post war produced photo of an original photo of Helmut Witte which he has signed with his original signature.

It is very common for Knights Cross winners to copy their photos , sign them and then send them to modern collectors who contact them for signed photos , i have many hundreds of similar signed photos due to my contact with RK Winners over the years.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

have a good few tinnies.