Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Soldbuch Cover, ID disc and release letter lot

Article about: Purchased this interesting set from a fellow collector on e-stand; forgive me if already shown here prior but I think it is very interesting. the lot consists of a soldbuch cover and attache

Default Soldbuch Cover, ID disc and release letter lot

Purchased this interesting set from a fellow collector on e-stand; forgive me if already shown here prior but I think it is very interesting. the lot consists of a soldbuch cover and attached photo and ID disc or dog tag along with paper document releasing the soldier from service. the member was kind enough to translate and comment on the disc and document as follows -

" When August Haberstroh entered the service, he initially served with the 2. Bau-Kompanie (Construction Company) [of Bau-Bataillon - Construction Battalion] 63. This unit was attached to the 6th Army:

Bau-Bataillon 63 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

The unit escaped encirclement at Stalingrad to fight - or should I say build - another day. I hadn't researched this dog tag before, so this makes it much more interesting. We only know that Haberstroh was assigned to Grenadier-Ersatz-und-Ausbildungs-Bataillon 470 (Grenadier Replacement and Training Battalion 470) in 1945. I believe this unit was based in Tübingen, Germany, in 1945:

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 470 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

As of 30 April 1945, Haberstroh was classified as arbeitsverwendig (fit for work) and released from the service. At this time in the war, some German commanders saw the writing on the wall and released soldiers from military service (it's interesting that Haberstroh was released on the same day Hitler killed himself). Haberstroh was nearly 36 when he was released, an "old man" in terms of military personnel."

Comments welcome -
    Joe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldbuch Cover, ID disc and release letter lot   Soldbuch Cover, ID disc and release letter lot  

Soldbuch Cover, ID disc and release letter lot   Soldbuch Cover, ID disc and release letter lot  

Last edited by josephc; 08-19-2013 at 01:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soldbuch Cover, ID disc and release letter lot
    P
    Many

A search of findagrave.com locates Mr Haberstroh in Pittsburgh PA USA; Birth: Feb. 19, 1909 - Death: Feb. 1, 2001.