Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Canteen Vouchers

Article about: Hi Ade, I'm going to create a thread when I have a little more time, specifically about the Pramienschein from the camps and ghettos. Basically, there is nowhere near enough information out

Default SS Canteen Vouchers

I always thought these were fakes, but I threw them under my microscope while playing around one day and I started to wonder if they might be good. I have a few with consecutive numbers. I can find very little useful online for these.

More pics available if needed of course.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Canteen Vouchers   SS Canteen Vouchers  

SS Canteen Vouchers   SS Canteen Vouchers  

SS Canteen Vouchers  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Canteen Vouchers
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Canteen Vouchers

The print certainly isn't modern post war off set. No pixels.
    I believe the process used to print the script is the photogravure or more likely, rotogravure, a commercial process where a negative is used to create an acid etched copper or zinc plate. A common intaligo print process used during the WWII period especially in continental Europe. Now these processes are mostly used to create 2 deminsional art work as they are much more intricate and expensive than off set printing.
    They appear correct. twice run printing, black block print over an intricate back ground.
    I know there are a shit load of fakes out there but they usually aren't this good and usually off set printing where you see pixels.

As an addendum. There were offset prints during the period but the pixels were triangular rather than round.
    Last edited by SteveR; 11-04-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Hi Steve, cheers for the info and expertise on print methods. I can spot a modern inkjet or something similar but beyond that I'm in the dark, I'd never even heard of photogravure / rotogravure. The acid etching sounds like a similar method I used to make circuit boards at school for electronics projects.

Is this currency used by inmates I take it, if real?

?

KradSpam, you have a run of type 2 Buchenwald premium coupons. A type one example is shown below, from my collection. The second type, i.e. yours, is diagonally marked Aussenkommando, for outside work. These are commonly over stamped with the sub-camp's name. The most numerous examples found read "SS-Ko.Rottleberode", with the over stamped ink being red, blue, violet or black. Although not one of the valuable examples of KZ related camp scrip/tokens, they can make nice display pieces. The main camp had approximately ninety sub-camps, so various names can be found on the obverse of the coupons. When I have time, I intend to add more information regarding the SS KZ-Pramienschein system, to the thread that I created not long ago within the paper items forum. It is a fascinating area, and one that some of my study and preparation work has resided in for a while now. In answer to your question, these were indeed issued to the prisoners of Buchenwald sub-camps, specifically those who were used as forced labour workers for companies such as those who operated at Altenburg, Sonnerburg-West and Rottleberode. I shall go into more detail when I have a chance to update the thread I mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. It is not surprising that you initially thought that these were reproduction/fantasy items, as camp related scrip is commonly reproduced, with the Buchenwald, Theresienstadt and Oranienburg pieces in particular being copied. Most Buchenwald reproduction examples are made of quite sharp paper, with heavy colour saturation, whereas the originals were constructed of very low grade paper, hence the fragile appearance of circulated examples such as the one shown by myself.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Canteen Vouchers  

Thanks Carl! I remember now that I have indeed seen you post on such things, I should have thought of you when I was pondering them. The thing that most strikes me about your example and mine is the asterisk, it is a very specific style and identical on both.

Great stuff, much nicer to think something is bad and discover you were wrong, than the other way around

?

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    KradSpam, you have a run of type 2 Buchenwald premium coupons. A type one example is shown below, from my collection. The second type, i.e. yours, is diagonally marked Aussenkommando, for outside work. These are commonly over stamped with the sub-camp's name. The most numerous examples found read "SS-Ko.Rottleberode", with the over stamped ink being red, blue, violet or black. Although not one of the valuable examples of KZ related camp scrip/tokens, they can make nice display pieces. The main camp had approximately ninety sub-camps, so various names can be found on the obverse of the coupons. When I have time, I intend to add more information regarding the SS KZ-Pramienschein system, to the thread that I created not long ago within the paper items forum. It is a fascinating area, and one that some of my study and preparation work has resided in for a while now. In answer to your question, these were indeed issued to the prisoners of Buchenwald sub-camps, specifically those who were used as forced labour workers for companies such as those who operated at Altenburg, Sonnerburg-West and Rottleberode. I shall go into more detail when I have a chance to update the thread I mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. It is not surprising that you initially thought that these were reproduction/fantasy items, as camp related scrip is commonly reproduced, with the Buchenwald, Theresienstadt and Oranienburg pieces in particular being copied. Most Buchenwald reproduction examples are made of quite sharp paper, with heavy colour saturation, whereas the originals were constructed of very low grade paper, hence the fragile appearance of circulated examples such as the one shown by myself.
    Great informatiom friend.

A couple of new pics for Carl.

SS Canteen Vouchers

This might help with tone of the paper. Modern pure white envelope and standard original feldpost letter/envelope for comparison. I know the SS stamp on the FP is bogus.

SS Canteen Vouchers

?

Thanks Steve, as ever, I appreciate your kind words.

A little further information regarding KL Buchenwald coupons...

As mentioned above, the tokens are widely copied. This really picked up in the early 1980's, when large quantities of counterfeits started to appear on the scene. The most common example is the 2RM type, with Aussenkommando marking. The 3RM note has also been faked, although the reproduction pieces have a very easy to spot RM3 marking, which is much larger than on legitimate examples. Some .50RM reproductions also appear with watermarks, whereas originals are without.

Brabag Kommando was located at two of the Buchenwald subcamps, namely Boehlen and Troeglitz. Forced labour prisoners produced oil from coal at the Brabag Braunkohle-Benzin A.O. This Kommando had three specific designs of camp token in use, all different from the regular Buchenwald patterns shown earlier in this thread. These tokens, made of thin card and of very simple design, are scarce with only one known example of the third, rectangular type known of today. Even these tokens are counterfeited, with .50RM examples bearing serial number 16398 known to be reproductions. The Junkers Flugzeug-und Motorenwerke A.G. company, producers of aircraft and vehicles, utilised forced labourers from KL Buchenwald at their facilities at Schonebeck and Bad Langensalza for over two years beginning in the spring of 1943. In March 1944, 36,000 pieces were produced of a new and different type, specifically or use at the Bad Langensalza plant.

Regards,

Carl

For future reference of anyone reading this thread for information, it turns out these tokens are in fact extremely good, quite early reproductions.

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi Andy, what was the give away?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast