Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ss death card unit?

Article about: Hi Chaps, I've a question for the SS experts. Can anybody tell me which SS unit that Johann Holzl was serving with when he was killed? I can make out that he was killed in Poland (Laisk is i

Default Ss death card unit?

Hi Chaps, I've a question for the SS experts. Can anybody tell me which SS unit that Johann Holzl was serving with when he was killed? I can make out that he was killed in Poland (Laisk is in Poland); but other than the date & his age my poor German has let me down.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ss death card unit?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss death card unit?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Ss death card unit?

I don`t see any reference to his unit.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Most death cards don't mention the actual unit , the only way to find out is to research which Waffen SS units were fighting in Poland in the Laisk area around the relevant time.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Chaps, thanks for the feedback. Hopefully a member will know which Waffen SS units were fighting around Laisk in October '44. Cheers, Richard.

?

Totenkopf ,Wiking , 14th Galacian and 18th Horst Wessel Divisons were all involved in fighting on Poland plus various Kampfgruppe from smaller units.

Has he had his Runic patch or deaths head censored out for some reason ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul, thanks for the info. Yeah, I noticed that his Runic patch has been censored. I bet his death was confirmed after the end of the war when being a relation of the SS member was not too clever. That would also explain why there is no SS unit mentioned. Again, that would explain the christian cross as apposed to the normal Iron Cross emblem. There's also a big christian cross on the back. Cheers, Richard.

Very interesting !

The same death card, (not the same, but the same soldier), was shown in another Militaria Forum month´s ago !

wieder mal hilfe benötigt - Militaria Fundforum

I rember, because I answered in this thread.

What a coincidence !

From where did you get this card ?

Rgds.,

R.

In pious memory of our good son and brother Johann Hölzl, a has-been Baker in St.Wolfgang, to the last resident in Wimm-Pfarre, Taufkirchen an der Pram, which was KIA at twenty-first of October 1944, aged 18 in Lajsk.

"Apprehensive hope, apprehensive yearn
    always urged me towards my home.
    But the artificer´s will wanted that I was far away from you, my beloved, bedded in a cold tombs rest"

I hope, I translated correct ?

Rgds.,

R.

P.S.:
    Taufkirchen an der Pram is located in Upper-Austria

Hi Reibert, I bought it via ebay from a chap in England. Thanks for the info & translation. Much appreciated. I'll have to register with that website & have a look. Cheers, Richard.

Hi Guys, finding several examples of a particular card on the market is not always something to worry about, but of course it pays to be cautious in this hobby. It is worth checking with a blacklight and a good magnifing glass to see how it was printed. Families would have a fair amount of these cards printed for people to take in rememberance after a service. Sometimes a number of cards will be found still in possesion by the family and these often come onto the collectors market via house clearances etc.

Extra care has always to be taken with popular subject matters, such as the Waffen SS, FJ, Heer Panzer arm, etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast