Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS feldpost to Jersey, Channel Islands.

Article about: The other day I was lucky enough to get a call from a local lady who said she had some SS mail sent to Jersey, Channel Islands during the German Occupation. Somewhat at a loss as to what to

Default SS feldpost to Jersey, Channel Islands.

The other day I was lucky enough to get a call from a local lady who said she had some SS mail sent to Jersey, Channel Islands during the German Occupation. Somewhat at a loss as to what to expect I met with the lady and she showed me a small bundle of envelopes some of which had the letters inside. They were addressed to a Mrs Franziska Channing, living at Langley Park. At first glance I was somewhat at a loss as they seemed genuine but I could not understand why there was SS connection. The lady went on to tell me that the letters were her Auntie's, who was in fact Austrian and had come to Jersey before the German Occupation and married Fred Channing. Her maiden name was Ster, and the letters were written to her by her brother who was in the SS. It just goes to show that things that look or sound impossible can be original. It turns out that Franziska was still living at the same address until her death in 1984. It seems that the envelopes are all from the same year and I am guessing her brother may have been killed. If anyone who's into the SS can help by letting me know if its possible to trace the man it would be great to know what happened to him.
    all the best,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS feldpost to Jersey, Channel Islands.   SS feldpost to Jersey, Channel Islands.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS feldpost to Jersey, Channel Islands.
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS feldpost to Jersey, Channel Islands.

Great stuff Keep us posted on any updates on this!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Did you get any further with this ?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick,
    Unfortunately I have not found out any more about the man, I hope to have a friend come up with something as he's more into ss units etc but I have drawn a blank. Other than they are super rare I am still looking for more info if its out there.
    All the best,
    D.

The sender, can't make out his name, was stationed im Prag-Rusin at the
    Heinrich-Himmler-Kaserne das 2.SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl. (ehem.SS-Inf.Ers.Btl.
    Deutschland).
    The last Commander was SS-Sturmbannführer Öttinger.

In may 1945, the Batallion was surrounded by the 3. Regiment of
    Wlassow-Troops led by Oberstleutnant Aleksandroff.

A partial breakout led by Öttinger followed, but many were captured and
    executed by Russian and Wlassow-Troops. Of the remaining soldiers,
    many were slaughtered by the Wlassow-Troops and Czech Partisan units.
    Not many from the 2.SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl survived.

Thanks for the info, most interesting and extremely helpful. Part of what makes this the best Forum to be a member of.
    D.

Another great thread!....