Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

Article about: Hello folks. Well, there go the last of my W&P savings! I wasn't going to spend the remainder, but after Espenlaub listed this on their site, I couldn't resist. This is by far the most I

Default SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

Hello folks.

Well, there go the last of my W&P savings! I wasn't going to spend the remainder, but after Espenlaub listed this on their site, I couldn't resist. This is by far the most I've ever spent on an item of paperwork, but I think the membership here will agree that it was worth every penny!

This photo album belonged to SS-Sturmmann Karl Stockinger, a member of the 'Der Fuhrer' Regiment, which was itself part of the 2nd SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich'. He was killed in action on the Eastern Front in June 1942, at the age of nineteen. As a part of Army Group Centre, he was a likely casualty of the battles around the Rhzev salient in the summer of 1942, known colloquially as the 'Rhzev Meat Grinder', due to the high number of casualties on both sides.

SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

Karl began his service, as many men did, in the Reichsarbeitsdienst (RAD). The first page of the album is dedicated to his time in this service.

At some point after his service in the RAD, Karl ended up in the 'Der Fuhrer' Regiment, where he took part in the German invasion of Yugoslavia. I believe the second and third pages show pictures from this part of his service, but I do not know whether these photographs are in chronological order.

SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

He then took part in Operation Barbarossa, the German invasion of the Soviet Union, where, as part of Army Group Centre, he would have fought in the drive towards Moscow. There are a multitude of photos from this part of his service, showing destroyed buildings, Soviet POW's, surrendering Russian troops, damaged monuments and a line of hanged men -- possibly partisans, though some appear to be wearing military uniforms.

SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

Karl appears to have been a mortar man, as evidenced by the blue crosses inked on a couple of the photos, presumably indicating Karl himself. There are also plenty of nice clear shots of field equipment and awards.

SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

One I found particularly interesting shows a group of StuG III assault guns, taken during the wintertime. There is snow on the ground, and the men standing around in this picture are wearing winter camouflage tunics and white-painted helmets. This was presumably taken during the winter of 1941/42, a particularly brutal one for German troops.

And here's the rest of the album.

SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

There is also an envelope in the back of the album, containing loose photographs that Karl either couldn't fit into the album, or didn't consider good enough to make the cut. One, which is heavily creased and which might have been carried in his wallet, bears an inscription on the reverse. It is signed 'Papa', although unfortunately I cannot read the rest of the text.

SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'

This album is one of only a few SS items that I own. There is a certain morbid air surrounding items of this nature, given the reputation of the Waffen-SS for brutality and acts of wanton destruction. But it is history, like everything else, and I feel that I cannot judge a man whom I only know through the photographs he took. Nineteen is no age for anyone to die, whatever organisation they might have been a part of.

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Photo Album 'Der Fuhrer'
    P
    Many

A very interesting album Brodie, and it doesn't do to dwell on what he might, or might not have done. All soldiers are capable of committing horrific crimes given the right (or wrong) set of circumstances. The SS were not the only ones who committed war crimes, the allies were guilty of that too - although nowhere near on the same scale. If you dig deep enough into the history of both world wars, you will discover the evidence.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A very interesting album Brodie, and it doesn't do to dwell on what he might, or might not have done. All soldiers are capable of committing horrific crimes given the right (or wrong) set of circumstances. The SS were not the only ones who committed war crimes, the allies were guilty of that too - although nowhere near on the same scale. If you dig deep enough into the history of both world wars, you will discover the evidence.

Cheers,
    Steve
    You're right, of course. No one's hands were clean by the end of the war. Both sides were guilty of war crimes, but when it comes to war, it is often only the loser that gets prosecuted for them.

Regards, B.B.

Very nice album, don't know what you paid but I can see why you bought it. Some good studies of the Waffen SS in action and this youngsters war in pictures. A unique piece.

?

What a spectacular find ! those photo's of the Stug and the mortar team alone are worth the price of admission. thanks for posting in detail.

Al

CBH
    ?

Some great photos, I really like the camouflage uniform shots and the SS-Obersturmführer.
    I wonder if thats his gas-mask container with regimental number on it, great album.

BB,,

An incredible look back at what it was like 75+ years ago..

Congrats on a magnificent find..

I have to remind myself... "Thou shalt not covet"....

Smitty

Pictures like these still give me chills.

Curiously he is listed as a Kanonier on the VDK database and sadly has no formal grave.

Thats a nice piece of history you got there!
    The picture with the inscription is very intersting, if you find someone who can read it, please post it here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast