Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stalingrad Feldpost

Article about: Unteroffizier Heinz Albert is listed by the Volksbund as Missing in Action in Stalingrad... Dearest Ilse, Far in the East 27 Nov.1942 Quickly a few lines and greetings for your 24th birthday

Default Stalingrad Feldpost

Unteroffizier Heinz Albert is listed by the Volksbund as Missing in Action in Stalingrad, January 1943...

Dearest Ilse, Far in the East 27 Nov.1942
    Quickly a few lines and greetings for your 24th birthday. I hope you are well, me not so well but that is understandable when one sits in the Shit as we are at the moment. But I am still relatively safe as I'm with the HQ-Staff Company. But I can't say the same for my comrades as our regiment is in constant combat with Ivan. Some companies have vanished completely, nobody knows where they are. Now the harsh Russian Winter has set in with 22 degrees below 0 and one sits in an unheated bunker. But we have a 1 meter thick ceiling above us and are safe against artillery fire. The mail isn't running regularly at the moment, and handwriting freezes the fingers. With gloves I can at least type.
    Yesterday evening there was excitement, the Russians had broken through North of us and the HQ-Staff Company had to go into action, repelling the attack. At least until the next time. Other than that there's no joyful news from Stalingrad, but we're hoping that the Russians will be finished by Christmas. If not, may dear God help us, if He is able to help.
    I send you many loving greetings and kisses from cold Russia, on the banks of the Volga
    Your Heinz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad Feldpost   Stalingrad Feldpost  

Stalingrad Feldpost   Stalingrad Feldpost  

Last edited by bigmacglenn; 10-18-2015 at 05:53 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad Feldpost
    P
    Many

This satisfies my Stalingrad obsession to no end... Very nice feldpost!

a tragic letter,thanks Glenn.

Thanks friends...I've actually had this one for a few years already...Just now finally translating it in order to share, lol....
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 08-18-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Cool !! That's why I like to collect Feldpost...history written by the soldiers themselves

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

And so Heinz vanished forever into the insatiable pit of Stalingrad....Never to be seen or heard again...
    Last edited by Wagriff; 08-18-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very interesting letter from a member of 24. Pz.Division (1./Pz.Gren.Rgt-26) and quite unusual as he doesn't seem to worry about telling the intended recipient details that show how tough it was for him and his comrades. Rather then write a more mundane letter lacking in details so as not to worry those at home here is one that is the opposite ("me not so well but that is understandable when one sits in the Shit as we are at the moment" / "Some companies have vanished completely, nobody knows where they are" / "22 degrees below 0 and one sits in an unheated bunker" / "The mail isn't running regularly at the moment, and handwriting freezes the fingers" / "the Russians had broken through North of us and the HQ-Staff Company had to go into action" / "Other than that there's no joyful news from Stalingrad" / "If not, may God help us").
    I wonder what the censor thought when they saw it?

?

I wonder how it has got through the censor bearing in mind the content !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Perhaps it was amongst the more complimentary letters being sent out of the Kessel at that time?

And here is a picture of the soldier himself taken from the DRK Vermisstenbildliste volumes.

Stalingrad Feldpost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast