Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Tallest German Surrenders

Article about: Hi, thought I would share this pic with you..... Attachment 843934 Corporal Bob Roberts was overseeing the surrender of dozens of enemy soldiers during the Battle of Normandy when the 7ft 6i

Default The Tallest German Surrenders

Hi, thought I would share this pic with you.....
    Attachment 843934
    Corporal Bob Roberts was overseeing the surrender of dozens of enemy soldiers during the Battle of Normandy when the 7ft 6ins German loomed into his view.
    [img][/img]
    Cpl Bob Roberts was sent the picture by a historian and instantly recognised himself
    Cpl Roberts, who stood two feet below him at 5ft 6ins, had the daunting job of frisking the German lance corporal for weapons before taking him prisoner.
    Out of shot of the photo, Cpl Robert's comrades and even the captured German soldiers sniggered together at the sight of the little and large encounter.
    It was a moment of lightness during the grim duty of war.
    For just a few minutes before the picture was taken, Cpl Roberts faced a life-or-death duel with another German soldier who pulled out a pistol as he pretended to surrender.
    Luckily, he raised his gun in the nick of time and shot the enemy soldier dead.
    Read more: Telegraph | Error 404 | Sorry, the page you have requested is not available ... cture.html

Read more: Histomil.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Tallest German Surrenders
    P
    Many

I've seen this photo before but it is worth seeing again!...

He's not that tall really, you can clearly see he's standing uphill of plucky 5' 2" Cpl. Roberts.......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Its an interesting story indeed, I spent some time with Bob last weekend

Here I am with Eldon Freeman Roberts, or " Bob " as he likes to be called last Saturday in Dunkirk ! In one of the photo's he is frisking me as in the photo with Jacob Nacken

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Tallest German Surrenders   The Tallest German Surrenders  

The Tallest German Surrenders  

?

Neat thread friend.

Eldon, or " Bob " , North Shore NB Regiment, actually captured the soldier among 250 others, he went forward to accept their surrender. It was not in Normandy but in Calais, they captured the siege guns that were bombarding Dover

Interesting Pathe News film here

Hellfire Corner Aka Hell Fire Corner - British Pathé

Cheers

Hi HM, welcome to the forum. Glad the old boys still with us. That must have been a warming experience listening to his war stories, happy Bob's still getting attention for his service. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Silberkreuz; 05-29-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks SK, Yes Bob is alive and well and was 92 in March this year, he has lived in Bournemouth on the south coast since 1948 after marrying his English rose who unfortunately passed away a few years ago.

Yes it was a warming experience in more ways than one, hence my glow ! haha

I met Bob completely by accident, we were staying in the same hotel last weekend at Dunkirk. I returned to my room to collect my sunglasses, the sun was finally starting to appear after a windy cold day and noticed Bob and his elderly female friend Betty fast asleep on their own in the foyer of the hotel ! After collecting my sunglasses, I noticed Bob had woken up, Betty was still fast asleep and snoring actually, so I decided to approach Bob and say hello and ask if everything was ok. We seemed to click right away and two and half hours later after a couple of drinks and a superb chat about his experiences we decided to take a few pictures before himself and Betty retired to their rooms for a nice cup of tea !
    Hes a great bloke and was an honour to be in his company
    Here he is writing a passage in my book
    Bye for now
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Tallest German Surrenders  

?

Many thanks for posting mate and welcome to the forum !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast