Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Translation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation Barbarossa

Article about: Here is another thought why not scan at 300 dpi each page of the diaries and produce a facsimile of the diaries which you could self-publish through a service such as lulu.com. German audien

?

Default Re: Translation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation Barbarossa

Thank you FB, I think I also understand your larger point, that we should strive to better ourselves and that learning German and Sütterlin is not really too far of a bridge to cross with a bit of effort. I think I may take you up on your challenge. Fortunately, I happen to have a helpful period document handy:
    Translation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation BarbarossaTranslation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation BarbarossaTranslation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation BarbarossaTranslation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation BarbarossaTranslation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation Barbarossa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Translation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation Barbarossa
    P
    Many

Default Re: Translation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation Barbarossa

Gut so. Bravo.

?

Very interesting document. You could try to get some help using german wwII bulletin boards. I often see threads with letters or even war diaries beeing translated for free by interested users. The owner of the document would simply scan each page and post it on the bulletin board waiting for someone who has the time and capability of translating the text. Usually there's a group of people taking turns translating the pages. It might take some time but it wouldn't cost you anything. Since you speak german there would also be no need for english translations. But even that shouldn't be a problem since many of the users there speak german and english fluently.....and there are lots of people with perfect sütterlin skills.

My suggestion.... just open a thread and ask if somebody might be interested in your translation project and if it's okay with the website admins. Here's an example of how it could work:
    Forum der Wehrmacht | Veteranen und Zeitzeugen erinnern sich | Tagebuch des Opas gefunden 1937 - 1948 in Sütterlin - kann jemand übersetzen?

I translated, digitalized and published a wwI diary myself. It had 1200 sütterlin pages and took me 2 years to complete .. working on it more or less every day ...fulltime. So believe me ...you have lots of work in front of you. And you most certainly won't get rich. My author's contract with a print-on-demand publisher costs more than I earn by selling the book. But I wanted to share this information with an interested audience... that's why I'm willing to bear the costs.

Very sound idea.

?

Good luck my friend!

And, if you ever decide to give up, I am ready to buy your diaries and have them ALL FULLY translated! It is very important to have the story of the German side of the war researched and shown since we only get to see the winners story in the history books and documentaries.

Translation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation BarbarossaTranslation of German diaries detailing the beginning of Operation BarbarossaLest any mis impression obtain, there exists a multi volume history of Germany in the second world war written by Germans of world renowned quality and without political apologia, which has no place on this website.

Moreover, as our German colleague here indicates, there is huge interest among historians and others scholars in the bottom up history of the III. Reich and the collection of the sources of events seen from the perspective of said diaries.

?

Oh wow, what a great resource, thanks! I will set up a thread and post a link here when I do so, so that we can all watch as it is transcribed. Many thanks to Lysya!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5