Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Volksdeutsche ausweis -Rumania

Article about: Hi, This would be, I think, a regular Volksdeutsche ausweis issued to a foreigner of German blood in Rumania.What more can one tell from this ausweis and the boxed-stamp in the middle? Pleas

Default Volksdeutsche ausweis -Rumania

Hi,

This would be, I think, a regular Volksdeutsche ausweis issued to a foreigner of German blood in Rumania.What more can one tell from this ausweis and the boxed-stamp in the middle? Please see scan.

Thanks,

Niel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volksdeutsche ausweis -Rumania  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volksdeutsche ausweis -Rumania
    P
    Many

Historiker
    ?

Default Re: Volksdeutsche ausweis -Rumania

Hi Neil,

An outstanding and rare Ausweis you have here, especially if you're interested in the ethnic German resettlements out of eastern and southeastern Europe that occured during the War. You'll notice that this Ausweis bears the stamp of the Volksdetusche Mittelstelle (VoMi) and is signed by an SS Hauptsturmführer. The VoMi was originallly a party office but Himmler gradually brought it under SS control through the streategic placement of SS personnel in key positions within the agency. Your Ausweis was not issued to foreigners of German blood residing in Rumania, but reflects the registration, as part of Himmler's Volksdeutsche resettlement scheme, of a Rumanian national of German descent. These registrations were conducted in the field by VoMi Commandos made up of SS and civilian staff and involved a preliminary determination that the individual was indeed racially German and subject to relocation to either the Reich proper or the Warthegau (occupied western Poland). I believe the BK XIX in the ink stamp indicates The VoMi Kommando number that conductd the registrations and it is followed by the hand-written registration number 53/1/90013 on April 2, 1942. This registration postdates the majority of the Rumanian resettlement action, which occured in 1940 but shows that the resettlement actions continued as pockets of Volksdeutsche lived outside the orginal resettlement areas. The resettlement of these particular Volksdeutsche was arranged by treaty with the Rumanian authorities on October 22, 1940. Once registered and collected, the resettlers were taken by boat up the Danube River to various transfer camps and then on to the Reich. The actual Ausweis number 183 incorporates the last part of the registration number: 90013.

Best,
    Bill B.
    Last edited by Historiker; 10-02-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for the reply and information! you'r amazing!
    May I ask one things? what was that 1944 entry on the right? and here is my email:

udikaplan@yahoo.com

Many thanks,
    Neil.

Historiker
    ?

Hi Neil,

Again, thanks for the kind words. The hand-written entry on the left side is not a date, but a number (perhaps reference?) of some sort. The left side is, of course, in Rumanian. Altho' I don't understand Rumanian, that ink stamp appears to be from the Rumanian authorities in Weisental (I can see what I believe to be the Rumanian equivalent of Wiesental, where the holder resided). I had a special interest in these dual language Ausweise generally and the Volksdeutsche in eastern and southeastern Europe in particular when I was actively collecting, and still do from a research point of view, especailly concerning their fate after the War ended.

In a more general sense tho', these pieces are really most interesting and all form parts of a larger picture, in this case, the VoMi resettlement program, which targeted ethnic Germans in the Soviet Union, Hungary, Rumania, the South Tirol, the Baltic states, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, France, Luxembourg and Greece. I find that all Ausweise tell a story . .that's why I find them so fascinating.

Best,
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you again for the great reply.
    I will add some new scans of some ausweises and hope you find them interesting too.

Warm Rgrds,
    Neil.