Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Article about: Does anyone recognize the small stamp in the awards section here? The awards are written into the pass in a different handwriting than I can see elsewhere from photos posted, all around the

Default Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Does anyone recognize the small stamp in the awards section here? The awards are written into the pass in a different handwriting than I can see elsewhere from photos posted, all around the same time, pretty much posthumously as you can see from the death entry (06/20/1942) on the later page. The fieldpost number 24154 matches his unit on the death entry. But, I'm a little uneasy about the the award entries and wonder if identifying the stamp might clear things up.

Thank you all very much!

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Feldpost stamp:

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 4. Kompanie Infanterie-Regiment 253
    (2.1.1940-27.4.1940) gestrichen, wurde Fp.Nr. 21914 E
    (25.9.1940-15.2.1941) Stab II u. 5.-8. Kompanie
    Infanterie-Regiment 426,
    (24.8.1943-5.4.1944) 3.1.1944 Stab II u. 5.-8. Kompanie
    Grenadier-Regiment 426.

Death entry:

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass - Awards Stamp
    P
    Many

I ,personally, haven't seen the tiny ink stamp before, but this, of course, doesn't mean much. I like the Wehrpass and can't imagine why anyone would go to extensive trouble to fake such a thing. It's not like it was issued to a celebrity name or enormously valued, so why then put such an effort into making it?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

All good points William. Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't seen that little stamp either, so I figure better safe than sorry.

?

Hello, the stamp says "Wehrmeldeamt Bochum", i.e. a local office in charge of recruitment and military bureaucracy. Thïs would explain why the entries were written later. It sometimes happened that the fallen soldier was awarded posthumously to appreciate his previous duty and show him (and his family) the last honor, so to say. The bureaucratic office has to than carry out the paperwork and note the awards in the personal acts. "Ordnung muss sein" ("there must be order"), as the German proverb goes.
    Also, I see nothing wrong with the Wehrpass.

As mentioned, it is just a typical sort of admin 'tidy up' to make sure all was in order especially if the Wehrpass was due to be sent to the family of the deceased. Here are another two examples where the local office has had an input.

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Thanks Pavel and Hucks! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this thread.

That certainly clears things up. It sounds like his unit was too busy retreating from the Russians (according to the Lexicon historical record) to take care of his awards list and left that to the local office.

The pass discussed here is one of two for a set of brothers, both killed in the war. I should have them next week sometime, and as always look forward to researching them.

Thought I might piggyback on this thread with another stamps question. This time in a soldbuch. This is the first time I've come across what looks like a reused photo. Would this be a clue that the soldbuch was a replacement, perhaps reusing the original soldbuch's photo after the pages wore out? Was it a common practice to reuse photos?

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Quite possibly, I've got zweitschrift soldbuchs with re-used pics. Without seeing more it's difficult to say. Stewy

It could be but the biggest clue will be the entries. Are a lot of them written in the same pen (i.e. all entered at the same time) and when was the Soldbuch opened and what is the first rank shown? Plus does it have Zweitschrift written at the top of page 1?
    As with trying to figure anything out with a SB, you have to look at everything in it and not just a single item.
    It could just be a replacement cover as there are no other stamps actually on the inside cover suggesting a removed photo or it might be that it was the only photo available when he needed to have one put in.

Thanks guys, for the info. Here's the rest of the soldbuch and some accompanying documents. The photo is what stood out to me. The idea of the cover having been replaced sounds like a reasonable thought for this one now that you mention it.

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp