Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.

Article about: What's wrong doctor? TABSTABS collection On the back of this excellent portrait is written: Siedlice Kriegslazarett. January 1944 At times like these, it is when societies understand the tru

What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.

Most likely this sign was in the city of Smolensk. Because the one in this other photograph indicating the other disinfection station is that city.

TABSTABS collection

I can affirm it, because I know the building that can be seen in the background.

It is that of the Technical School of Physical Education, (also Known as Rotes Haus, for its color) in which a large hospital was installed in the autumn of 1941 and in which a part of the members of the first Swiss medical mission were stationed.

Book from my personal library

Its story was written in his memoirs by Swiss nurse Elsie Eichenberger, a member of the first Swiss medical mission on the eastern front.
    Last edited by TABSTABS1964; 03-29-2020 at 10:10 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.
    P
    Many

Although the problem would be much more serious for the soldiers who, after the defeats of Stalingrad or in the summer of 1944, become POW of the Soviets.

Following the capitulation of the German Sixth Army to Stalingrad, for the first time a huge number of German soldiers became prisoners of war. A reasonable number is considered to be about 90,000 men. Most of them were severely weakened by months of fighting, excruciating cold, and lousy diet, so they suffered from diseases such as dysentery and typhus, since the lice had been cruel to their bodies for months.

Several hundred German and Austrian doctors, surgeons, and paramedics were captured at the Kessel in Stalingrad. All of them had to organize the different hospitals, first within the city and later, outside of it, where they had to fight with hardly any instruments or medicines against the wounds and diseases of their comrades, especially against typhus.

One of these doctors wrote down his memoirs (which I recommend here to all interested in the subject) The ustrian doctor Hans Dibold (1904-1991) who in 1949 published his book “Doctor at Stalingrad”.

Dr. Hans Dibold (1904-1991)

Dibold´s book

Please don´t confuse with another more popular book written by the German novelist Heinz G. Konsalik (1921-1999) who fought on the Eastern Front and was seriously wounded, almost the same title "Doctor of Stalingrad"

Heinz G. Konsalik (1921-1999)

Konsalik´s book

Here we are going to talk about Dibold's novel, the fifth chapter of which is entitled "The fight against typhus"

Dibold tells us how soon the Soviet doctors realized that the German prisoners were dying like flies, because there had been a huge epidemic focus.
    To avoid losing such a large amount of forced labor and spreading the infection to the civilian population, they began to supply German doctors with certain amounts of drugs to combat typhus. Dibold tells us that the Germans affirmed "we have caught lice and typhus in Russia" and the Russians replied "it is you who have brought typhus"
    Their fight was dramatic due to the poor conditions of the thousands of prisoners with typhus and the harsh living conditions and very little food. The German doctors and paramedics themselves were also infected and died in proportion to the rest of the prisoners.

The chapter ends by describing the departure from the city after the closure of the hospitals to move the wounded survivors to other places:

"The mildly ill went behind, on foot, with great effort. We, the doctors, helped to pull or push the carts of the most seriously ill soldiers. The scene was filmed for the film about stalingrad "The Great Walk". In it she sees Doctor Loos, from Hospital II, the Viennese paramedic Plass and some others making their way through the ruined streets of Stalingrad, with their miserable, but so dear luggage.
    Of that human mass that, a few months ago had launched into the assault of the Volga, only sick and crippled with fever remained".

Frame from the Soviet documentary featuring doctors and paramedics who served with Dr. Dibold in the Staligrado hospitals and others by the USSR

Another well-known image of the departure of German POWs from the city

Davai, davai!

On July 17, 1944, 57,000 German POWs paraded through the streets of Moscow, captured mostly in Belarus after the summer offensive that led to the annihilation of Army Group Center.

After the troops, the irrigation machines wash the streets of Moscow with soap and symbolically remove dirt from the asphalt after tens of thousands of German prisoners of war have passed.

But it was not only a symbolic disinfection. Since 57,000 infested men can carry a few million lice.

YouTube

Let´s remember to finish this story that the doctor and Lutheran Pastor Kurt Reuber, surgeon in the 16th Panzer and author of the painting "The Madonna of Stalingrad".

Reuber, 36, returned to Stalingrad on November 22, 1942, after enjoying a permit in Germany. Two days later the city siege had been consummated.

He was taken prisoner after capitulation and died on January 21, 1944 in the Yelabuga camp, some 1,000 km east of Moscow, probably of typhus.

Kurt Reuber during russian campaign

Before the siege of Stalingrad with his sons Erdwin, Ute and Harmute

The Madonna of Stalingrad
    Last edited by TABSTABS1964; 03-29-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Well that´s all folks.

I know that my effort have served to help you all to spend some of these hours of confinement in our homes.

To all my friends and comrades in the forum all over the world, my best wishes to you all and to your loved ones.

Keep us safe, take care of your families and remember: Take the opportunity to continue sharing your wonderful collections and follow the doctor´s advice:

Best regards.

Santi

?

Thank you TABSTABS, I have found lot of interesting pictures here.

I also collect a lot of photos on this subject (mainly finds on internet).
    is this the right place to show some ?

Hello Karlzv.
    Of course yes! I will be delighted that you upload your photos to this thread, it will be a pleasure for me to see them here.
    If you prefer, you can also open a new thread and show us your photo collection, which all of us will follow with great interest.
    As you prefer to do, the important thing is that you allow us to see your photo collection.
    Welcome once again!!

?

Ok !
    Well, I will put them soon... the ones i prefer
    But its not realy "my" collection, its just from what i can find on the internet. Maybe one day i will have a collection of photos in this subject. (i have only one in fact for now)
    They are photos others have shared : some are easy to find, but some are hard to find (russian forum, german documentation, facebook galery, ect...).
    Like yours in fact, its with peoples who shared them like you that i can bring them together. And together, Its so interessting.

See you soon.
    Thank you

ps : I will open others subject too. I have some ideas.

what a fantastic read and with great photographs, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for posting this peek into the life of the german field hospital. Stay safe, Regards Paul

?

Portaits of medics from the heer :

Oberstarzt

Franz Günther von Stockert (Oberfeldarzt)

Lothar Kreuz (Oberstabsarzt)
    What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.

Stabsarzt

Oberzanharzt

Heinrich Hechelmann (Assistenzarzt)

Unterarzt
    What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.

Sanitätsfeldwebel
    (the famous Franz Schmitz)

Sanitätsunteroffizier
    What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.

Other ranks :
    What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals.

Hi everibody, Hi Karl.

Reviewing my archive, I had forgotten to upload this photo from my collection. If you are interested in the subject of German triage, you may find it interesting. The begleitzettel can be seen on the chest of the soldier in the background (we do not know if it is for verwundete, Kranke or Kampfsoffverletzte)

TABSTABS collection

As you know, these cards were tied with a thin rope, generally in an area visible to the wounded soldier's uniform.
    In it, the first diagnoses of the injury and of the measures taken are noted, for example, if the wounded soldier has been medicated or a pressure bandage is applied, if it is a wound that bleeds profusely, etc.
    The cards have strips of different colors on one side for a quick marking of each wounded man, these strips can be torn off according to the state required by the wounded man:

- Zwei roter Streifen (2 red stripes) Nichttransportfähig = that the injured soldier cannot be transported
    - Ein roter Streifen (1 red stripe) Transportfähig = that the injured soldier is transportable
    - Kein roter Streifen (no color stripe) Marschfähig = that the injured soldier can continue on his own foot
    - One green stripe: non-infectious diseases
    - One yellow stripe: contagious disease
    - Purple stripe has the same meaning as red and is placed on those affected by chemical weapons.

Regards

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast