Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WRF rights to photo's posted

Article about: I have a Question concerning photo's I've posted on this site. The Rules of this site state at all posted photographs become the property of WRF. "All postings, and photographs become t

Default WRF rights to photo's posted

I have a Question concerning photo's I've posted on this site. The Rules of this site state at all posted photographs become the property of WRF. "All postings, and photographs become the property of WRF, and you agree to release, once you post, all material to WRF and release any other claims to your property." What exactly are they saying? Are they saying if I post a photo on here to educate other members they have the right to that image?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WRF rights to photo's posted
    P
    Many

?

I don't want to answer any administrative questions that would be better left to the forum staff, but what photos are you concerned about, exactly? By that I mean, are you concerned about scans/photos you've made of two dimensional works (old photographs and printed matter) or photos you've taken of three dimensional objects, like awards and gear?

Old photo's I own and have posted on here.

?

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    Old photo's I own and have posted on here.
    Well, I can say that those photos are either in the public domain due to their age (under German copyright law) or the rights belong to the person who took them. Unless they are altered in some way before posting them online, scanning a photo doesn't create a new copyright, so the copyright to them doesn't belong to you or the forum. Three dimensional objects are a different thing, because taking a photo of them legally constitutes a new work, the copyright to which is automatically owned by whomever created it, unless it's signed away (which may be the case with such images posted here on the forum).

Interesting indeed. Thanks for the info! I guess I won't be posting more photo's on here unless I watermark the whole image.

?

Interesting indeed. Thanks for the info!
    No problem. Don't quote me exactly though, because it's been a while since I've been involved in European copyright stuff! Keep in mind that the location of the host website's servers are also important in the whole equation, because both the copyright laws of the origin country and of the host country apply, but I don't think that would matter in this case.

I enjoy sharing my photo's but I don't want others to steal them and make copies. Seems wrong that if I buy a photo that was taken by a person long deceased I do not have the right to that image. If you apply that logic to other things like cars and houses we'd be in big trouble with other people sleeping in our house and taking our car for a ride anytime they want lol...Now I ask myself if I've wasted my money on photo's if anyone can just take the image off the net and make legal copies for their financial benefit.

?

I enjoy sharing my photo's but I don't want others to steal them and make copies. Seems wrong that if I buy a photo that was taken by a person long deceased I do not have the right to that image. If you apply that logic to other things like cars and houses we'd be in big trouble with other people sleeping in our house and taking our car for a ride anytime they want lol...Now I ask myself if I've wasted my money on photo's if anyone can just take the image off the net and make legal copies for their financial benefit.
    Well, if the photos are in the public domain, then there isn't much you can do about that, and if the copyright hasn't yet expired, then it actually is their property. That doesn't mean that people should steal your photos, but there's a difference between what's legal and what's right.

Thanks Erno for your help!

It only took seeing one of my photos milling around until I learned to watermark. I would have given pics to anyone that asked but to use the pic without as much as giving recognition......forget about it!

Photos you take, are yours legally. Your photos of images are not yours. Somewhat confusing but most people eventually grasp it.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast