Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

19th Century Polish VM

Article about: Hello Everyone, This is listed on eBay. I was wondering what your opinion is of what appears to be a very nice Napolenic-era Polish VM.

Default Re: 19th Century Polish VM

And a hearty congratulations from this corner Michael! Incredible purchase, for an equally incredible bargain price! Lightning still strikes in this hobby every once in a while, and I'd say your score is one of the most impressive in recent memory. I am happy to see that this beautiful cross and important historical artifact now resides in a collection where it will be treasured.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi all,
    As promised please see a high resolutions photos attached.
    Best Regards,

Many thanks Michael, although the plastic sleeve doesn’t help at all!

Regardless, congrats again on a superb acquisition!

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by prezesdel View Post
    Hi all,
    As promised please see a high resolutions photos attached.
    Best Regards,
    Congrats again!

Although I am still intrigued as to why the center motif is not perpendicular to the center axis as found on other V.M. awards and wonder if it is a later repair... even the date baseline is not parallel to the horizontal axis as mounted? I would not be happy with that if I was the original jeweller or the repairer if indeed it has been repaired during its very long history.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

The color of the cross : I spoke to a jeweler about it and he said : someone had heated that cross up, (gold takes that color after being heated to a high temperature), most likely to put the shield on, the shield with Pogon; the enamel on it does not look like it was period done, so most likely someone has repaired the cross and put the shield back on sideways. Also how can one attribute this cross to a specific maker/jeweler ? it is not stamped with maker marks anywhere.
    I believe the cross is original, but at some point the shield (enamel) has been replaced.

If the cross was heated up to repair it then presumably the black infill of the lettering would also have been restored after cooling unless it has a higher melting point. Maybe the sideways mounted centre motif was reflected in the sale price, which does seem a bargain for what must be a very rare order even if a partially repaired cross.

i would take the cross to a jeweller and have the centre motif reorientated to its correct position if it is a simple matter of heating and resoldering.

Were VMs normally made with 22k gold which is very soft and would easily be damaged especially at the end points of the cross when worn?

i don't collect this order so know very little about its history and variants although I do own a very nice Spink version
    Last edited by StefanM; 04-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12