Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Binoculars-When?

Article about: Anybody know when these binos are from? Rich A. in Pa.

?

Default Binoculars-When?

Anybody know when these binos are from? Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Binoculars-When?   Binoculars-When?  

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Default Re: Binoculars-When?

Hi Rich,

These are pre-war Polish military issue binoculars from the H. Kolberg i S-ka factory based in Warsaw. The “WP” to the right of the name stamp stands for “Wojsko Polskie” (Polish Army). On the other side is the magnification stamp 6x30 and below that the serial number. These binoculars can be dated by the serial number, which I can’t quite make out from your picture. The production span of the Kolberg binoculars was from the mid 20’s right up until the outbreak of WW2. Somewhere I have the production data so if you can confirm the serial number I’ll get you the year of manufacture.

On another topic . . . wasn’t the King of The Road Shelby GT-500 only a 1968 incarnation?

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Tony,Thanks for the info.Pre war. Nice to know. My avitar is the original owners manual and extra original factory cobras for my red and gold 1969 GT-500 K.R.. The original owners manual is harder to find than the car. Rich A. in Pa.

Hi again Rich,

Those were good quality binocs for the time. Built to last. Such was the case with pre-war Polish equipment. They did not scrimp on engineering R&D and production quality, and indeed some technology was cutting edge and ahead of its time. Problem was that this brought up costs, and with tight budgets the net result was less equipment. A strong modernization and equipping program was just coming into its own in the later half of the 1930’s. But alas, by the time Poland’s neighbours decided to divvy her up in September ’39 it was too little too late.

Re King of the Road, I was certain this designation was dropped for the 1969 model year. As the owner of a ’69 Mach 1 Mustang I don’t pretend to know everything about the Shelbys. But one thing I do know is that I’d sure love to own one of those too!

Regards,
    T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Tony,Thanks for the info. I also have a 1973 Ford GT-40,1964 Plymouth Sport Fury Max Wedge and a 351 BOSS motor ready to put together laying on the rack. If I listened to people I'd have 2 or 3 of the new Shelby's. I would be dam near broke now.
    Rich A. in Pa.
    Last edited by rra227; 05-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Yes, I like the new Shelbys as well. I’ve always had the bug for older cars, but the 2011 GT500 is definitely a sweet machine. ’73 GT40 – wow! Lucky you.

Back to the binoc topic, I found this helpful article for you. All you ever wanted to know about Kolberg binocs:

http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors...story_of_H.pdf

Cheers,
    T.

?

Tony,Thanks for the info. Rich A. in Pa.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    (...) All you ever wanted to know about Kolberg binocs:
    http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors...story_of_H.pdf

Cheers,
    T.
    That's a nice one ! Thanks for sharing !