Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cap eagle opinions

Article about: Hi all, I currently don't have any Orzełeks in my collection, but I think it's time. What do you think of these two? They are around 50euro a piece. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Question Cap eagle opinions

Hi all,

I currently don't have any Orzełeks in my collection, but I think it's time. What do you think of these two? They are around 50euro a piece. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Cap eagle opinions

Cap eagle opinions

?

I like the improvised button screw back fastner.

Piwo

Hello I.H.,

I don’t see any immediate problems with either. Asking price is fair. As you probably know, one is pre-WW2 vintage and the Lorioli was produced for the Polish 2nd Corps fighting alongside the Allies. This eagle has had some work done to the threaded post, possibly shortened, as the end has been manually filed. These were machine finished when produced.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony. The seller mentioned that the post was shortened by the original owner. That is marked as a wz 39.

The pre-war is marked as a wz 19. Do you know what time period would this be?

Hi again I.H.,

The wz.39 designation is correct. Re. your question about the wz.19, I do not know exactly when this eagle was produced. I checked Zawistowski, and while it is pictured there's no indication there either. Incidentally, if you're seriously considering starting up a collection I'd highly recommend you first invest in his series of books. Learning about the topic before spending money is always the wise way to go, especially in a hobby where the marketplace is plagued by reproductions and fakes.

Cap eagle opinions

One more thing, the "button" spinner is correct equipment for these. The one with your eagle badge is pictured top right. These came in both circular and oval shapes. Here's another excerpt from Zawistowski showing the circular type:

Cap eagle opinions

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thank you Tony. Your research in this is greatly appreciated. I think I may get the books first as indeed, I would say 1/100 is a genuine item, looking at what's available. At least some sellers are honest enough up front.

Quote by Iron Hussar View Post
    . . . I would say 1/100 is a genuine item . . .
    Thankfully it's not quite that bad. But when even a common pattern genuine badge in good condition sells for $100, inadvertently buying reproductions can quickly add up to becoming a very costly exercise. Do buy the books, continue to post pics of any potential purchase, and don't overlook our own data base of information here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...p-eagles-1980/

Regards,
    Tony