Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The Changing Map of Poland

Article about: Yes Poland was not formally at war with USSR, but USSR never the less invaded Poland in 1939 without a declaration of war. I would however not hesitate to call it war. USSR captured some 200

Default Re: The Changing Map of Poland

Quote by Reynard View Post
    I've got a whole crate of propaganda pamphlets that were printed in the UK during the war and I'm fairly certain that the majority of them are on the "Polish Problem". I'll have a rummage in the box if you gentlemen could use the info etc - have only recently dug them out and haven't had too close a look yet.
    I would be extremely interested to see any that were authored by Sikorski or Retinger whom I believe also wrote a document on the "Polish Problem".

The ones I have read are from the post-Sikorski government-in-exile so are written with "Katyn" in the background.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Things are getting interesting now

Regards, Lars

I'll have a look for you, Skorpion - there seems to be all sorts in there.

One item I do have to hand right now because it's on my "to read" pile is a paperback book in English titled "Poland's Destiny - is Poland the Mistress of Europe's Fate?" It's written by George Bilainkin, a diplomatic correspondent, and its original title was "Within Two years". The preface of this particular edition is dated April 1939, so it actually predates the outbreak of war. Seems potentially interesting.

One item I do have to hand right now because it's on my "to read" pile is a paperback book in English titled "Poland's Destiny - is Poland the Mistress of Europe's Fate?" It's written by George Bilainkin, a diplomatic correspondent, and its original title was "Within Two years". The preface of this particular edition is dated April 1939, so it actually predates the outbreak of war. Seems potentially interesting.
    It goes without saying what happens to 'mistresses'. Apt metaphor for Poland (and eventually most of Europe) in 1939!

Many thanks I am always interested in books or papers by either Sikorski or Retinger from that period as their vision for Poland and border settlement with the USSR was likely to get them assassinated...

The Bilainkin book Within two years! had the full title of Within two years! Being the narrative of a journey to the Polish corridor, the tinder box of Europe published by S. Low, Marston & Co. ltd. (1934)

Poland's Destiny was published by Hutchinson & company; 1st Edition edition (1939)

Are they one and the same because I was thinking of buying a copy of Within two years! ?
    Last edited by StefanM; 11-22-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote by dastier View Post
    It goes without saying what happens to 'mistresses'. Apt metaphor for Poland (and eventually most of Europe) in 1939!
    They get shafted... (Pardon my language, gentlemen...)

Skorpion, yes it's the same book, only that the version I have has been updated a little from the original - there's a note on the title page that says: This book was originally published under the title of "Within Two Years". The preface, dated April 1939 also says: Readers of this edition, of which the preface and the epilogue are alone new, may perhaps best judge how far the forecast I made in 1934 has been justified by the events at the beginning of 1939.

HTH

They get shafted... (Pardon my language, gentlemen...)
    HTH
    I was actually thinking of a more vulgar term but you caught my drift...

Quote by dastier View Post
    I was actually thinking of a more vulgar term but you caught my drift...
    Great minds think alike...

BTW Skorpion, here's a photo of my copy of "Poland's Destiny" aka "Within Two Years".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3000_vsmall.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	426132

BTW Skorpion, here's a photo of my copy of "Poland's Destiny" aka "Within Two Years".
    Thanks for that! I am going to purchase the earlier edition 1934 Within Two Years I found on abebooks

You're welcome, Skorpion

I've had a look through that box. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any propaganda pamphlets in there that date prior to the discovery of Katyn, though I do have a reasonable number of later ones. The box did turn up a respectable stack of copies of "Bellona: miesiecznik wojskowy" and a book on the September Campaign complete with a set of maps though.

That's not to say I still won't find anything - I've still got lots of paperwork and bits to go through.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast