Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'

Article about: Thanks very much for those scans Tony, I'm working on translating them. Maybe it's obvious but is the badge worn on the collars or tunic? Chris............

Question Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'

Hello, I recently came across this photo in a family album and like the subject line says am wondering if these fellows are part of an army NCO school? The collar emblems are worn in the same fashion and appear similar (but not quite) as seen on pgs 128 to 130 of Polskie Szkolnictwo Wojskowe 1908-1939. There is a mix of ranks in the photo, two chaps are wearing greatcoats, one with the stripes of infantry the other not so sure? The chap writing appears also to have a cross emblem on the left breast of his tunic as well. Can anyone with sharp eyes & better knowledge give me a sense of what these badges/emblems might be? I don't recognize the few I can make out when comparing them to the reference book. Also can anyone make out the title of the newspaper?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    Chris............
    PS hope the closeups help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'   Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'  

Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'   Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'  

Last edited by ChrisW01; 08-31-2011 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added close ups

?

Default Re: Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'

Hello Chris,

The newspaper is definitely an issue of Przegląd Sportowy.

Regards,
    MJU

Thanks for that Michal. I thought it might be something about sports, guess that was a popular sports tabloid of the times.

Curious if you can make any sense of the writing? It seems to read "Group at (or) in the field 1927 at Rosi Rusky" . My translation is probably off but the last two words seem to indicate a place or town, is there any place in Poland that sounds similar? I know it's a odd question but Google was no help.

Chris.............

Hey again. Could the spelling Rosi Rusky be a different spelling because of sentance grammer to mean Rawa Ruska near Lwow?

Chris.....

?

Hello Chris,
    The writing seems to be: "Grupa na sali w lutym 19XY (1927? 1931?) w Rawie Ruskiej", ie. "Group in a hall/room in February 19XY in Rawa Ruska". You got the place right.

Regard,
    MJU

Quote by Jung View Post
    Hello Chris,
    The writing seems to be: "Grupa na sali w lutym 19XY (1927? 1931?) w Rawie Ruskiej", ie. "Group in a hall/room in February 19XY in Rawa Ruska". You got the place right.
    Thanks for confirming that Michal. It puts a whole new perspective on the photo and kind of changes my original question. According to the Handbook of the Polish Army by N&M Press: 19 Pulk Piechoty, 3 Batalion was based at Rawa Ruska during that time period. They were part of 5 Dywizji Piechoty IIRP. Did a quick Google search of 19PP & 5DP but came up with uncertain images of insignia and badges etc.

Does anyone have any data, images of insignia, badges or emblems for 19PP & 5DP that I can compare against the photo and for my own research?

Thanks in advance for your patience
    Chris..........

?

Hello again Chris,

I'm almost certain that 5 DP did not have any own badges nor insignias, but image of enlisted's version of 19 pp badge is to be found here (see Mariusz's post written on 06-10-2010 02:34 PM)

Regards,
    MJU

Thanks Michal guess that explains why no images can be found of 5DP insignia.

Is the 19PP badge displayed (copied & attached from the link) the same as the pieces on the collars of the soldiers in my photo? Is it worn on the collar or tunic?

The badge in the picture is quite tarnished but I imagine in its day it would have been kept polished and have been bright as in my photo.

Chris.........
    Attached Images Attached Images Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej' 

Hi Chris,

The 5 Dywizja Piechoty was a tactical grouping of infantry regiments. Jung is correct that there is no badge.

Re. the 19th Infantry Regiment and its badge, posted below are the entries contained in the Wielecki/Sieradzki and Filipow books. Hope you can read Polish!

Cheers,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'   Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Here’s a Wabia-Wabinski version of the badge that was sold on Allegro in Jan 2010.

T.

Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'   Are collar pieces in photo 'Emblemat Szkoły Podoficerskiej'  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast