MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

The Cross and Medal of Independence

Article about: Here is a complete ‘award package’ issued to a recipient of the Medal of Independence. It consists of the following components: 1) the decoration – full size and miniature 2) the presentatio

Default Re: The Cross and Medal of Independence

Here is a complete ‘award package’ issued to a recipient of the Medal of Independence. It consists of the following components:

1) the decoration – full size and miniature
    2) the presentation box for the decoration with its image embossed in gold on the lower portion of the lid
    3) the full size diploma printed on parchment paper (by Jan Cotty of Warsaw)
    4) the storage tube for the diploma, the colours reflecting the black with red stripe ribbon motif
    5) the ID booklet
    6) the shipping carton that neatly holds the presentation box and diploma storage tube

T.

PS I’ve also included a picture showing other items from this grouping. Józef Niewiara was a former political prisoner (member of the Association of Political Prisoners; badge and legitymacja shown) and was awarded the Medal for 10 Years of Independence in 1928.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Final post for today before joining the wife and kids for the countdown to 2011. Just over an hour to go. This is a postage stamp issued in 1933 to commemorate the this decoration.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence   The Cross and Medal of Independence  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony,

Well I have found another 2 Names that have been listed incorrectly, Page 84: Entry Nr 303: Antoni Suks, which should be Antoni Suchs plus entry Nr 316: Antoni Tarnowski , which should be Antoni Tarnawski.

How many more will I find your guess would be as good as mine.

Best wishes

Andrew

Hi everyone,

A few more photographs of 1863 veterans plus a photograph of a painting of a 1863 Veteran who lost a hand and was awarded the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Leigh,

........... It’s good to see that interim award document again. A rare example by virtue of the association with the 1st Class of the decoration and a most worthy addition to this thread........

Regards,
    Tony
    I can't see the name "Tadeusz Dobrzynski" recorded in the list from "Krzyż i Medal Niepodległości" you provided Tony.

Hi Tony,

I found another this time its an 1863 Veteran the book states Jan Sarafinowicz, but Rocznik Oficerski and his diploma states Jan Serafinowicz born in 1842 in Biala Podlaska, I have also included a few more Legitymacja's and a couple of photographs.

Best wishes

Andrew

Posted below is an interesting advertisement from 1935 for Warsaw based badge and decoration manufacturer Adam Nagalski. Among the many familiar badges he is known to be a producer of is one that I did not know he offered - the Cross of Independence with Swords.

Here’s hoping that we can eventually see a bona fide example of this cross to see how it differs from the known pre-war National Mint and Zygadlewicz makers.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross and Medal of Independence  
    Attached Images Attached Images The Cross and Medal of Independence 

Tony,

This may be a sily question, but what is the difference between the cross and the circular shape medal - both of Independece?. What I mean is, were crosses given to the officers? or NCOs or perhaps civilians? or am I completely missing it?

Thanks.
    Pawel.

Hi again Pawel,

This was both a military and civilian decoration awarded in three grades, with the third being the medal. The grade awarded was based on the degree of the recipient’s contribution to the regaining of Poland’s independence.

Regards,
    Tony

Hey Tony,

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks. So then first grade is the cross with crossed swords and second grade being just the cross? - I am shooting in the dark now.

Pawel.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast