Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Article about: by IvanPutski Here's another little tidbit on that cross.... It was awarded to a fighter pilot. Hello Ivan, OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name? The award lists

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Hello Adam,

Welcome to the forum, I have been able to find some information on the recipient of your collection a very brave man whose life was cut short by crossing a dried out river bed near Loretto and stepping on a german mine on the 1st July 1944.

It would be appreciated if you could post some photographs of Zygmunt's Decorations and Medals.

No doubt everyone else is dying to know who we are talking about.

The Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 26782 was awarded to:

Surname: RYMKIEWICZ

Christian Name: Zygmunt

Date of Birth: 27th September 1913

Place of Birth: Wilno

Army Number: 1913/150/III

Date of Death: 1st July 1944

Unit: z 6 Kompanii Sanitarnej, 5KDP

Buried in Polish War Cemetery in Loreto Grave Nr: 7-E-17

Porucznik Lek. Zygmunt Rymkiewicz was Deputy Commander of the Company the Commanding Officer was Kpt. Boleslaw Wierzchon who commanded the 245 Officers and other Ranks of the Company.

Por.Lek. Zygmunt Rymkiewicz was awarded the Silver Cross of the Virtuti Militari, Legitymacja Numbered: 10111

In the list of Polish Military Killed during World War 2, Zygmunt Rymkiewicz was posthomously promoted to Kpt.

Adam, I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

It was a doctor; -))), is thanking a lot Andrzejek, since when I found these medals tired me whom belonged, to I don't know still as with them do, to sell me sorrow, particularly that it is my history.

Time to give this thread a btt . . .

Over the past weekend I got around to reorganizing the KW display frame to make room for some new types acquired over the past year or so. This allowed access to take some proper pictures of some of the crosses long held captive behind glass. Starting with the next post I’ll show some weird and wonderful variants to add to our data base here.

Although it’s more suited for the ‘show your collection’ thread, I’ll cheat and post a quick picture of the display frame here (with glass removed). I collect only Polish 2nd Republic and WW2 Armed Forces in the West types, which share the top and bottom halves of the display frame respectively.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Here’s a mysterious variant. The Krogulec reference lists this type as #14, with production dated at “pre-1939?”. On the rarity index of KW’s it resides firmly in the top five.

This type is unique in several respects, but most notably for its size. Pre-WW2 KW’s were produced in two standard sizes, essentially following in the footprints of the official government issue crosses: 44mm, and 36mm. This cross falls in the middle at 40mm, and is only one of two IIRP/PSZ crosses made in this intermediate size.

As evidenced by the ball type suspension, this cross is the product of a French maker. Unfortunately, the name of that maker is unknown. The quality is superb, and I feel it is the most finely crafted KW. The cross is precisely die struck in tombac (an alloy of copper and zinc). The text font has bold sharp serifs, the eagle is a more detailed version of the Knedler rendering, and the overall effect is of a crisp and refined decoration. Amazingly, the attention to detail extends to the angled perimeter border surfaces allowing a bevel at each corner. The edge finishing is meticulous and surpasses that of all of the other KW’s. (see side pictures below). The ribbon ring meets almost seamlessly at an angled cut. A lot of care was evidently lavished on the production of these crosses, and one suspects initial cost as being a factor in why this variant is so rarely encountered.

This cross is mounted to what is most likely its original issue ribbon based the circumstantial evidence that accompanied the cross at time of purchase. It is a pre-war vintage Polish made ribbon. This is also possible indication that production dates to before WW2, although again, this cannot be held as any sort of concrete proof. As with so many of the pre-war KW types, very little solid information is extant. I welcome any and all information on this or any oter variant.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

3mk
    ?

Beautiful display Tony! and thank you for posting that rare variant I love the ball suspension on it.

Thanks Emil. Yes, that “#14” is a beautiful cross. I have another scarcely seen variant sitting in the wings to post next. Stay tuned.

Re the display frame, for the sake of full disclosure cross #16 (the controversial 1939 dated type – third row down far left) is actually 1970’s veteran’s issue. I have yet to find the AK wartime issue 1939 cross. It’s taken a dozen years to assemble the ones in that frame, and it will be at least the same amount of time to find the four still needed. It’s not getting any easier as we go along . . .

Cheers,
    Tony

Hi,
    Really cross french production company Delande or to Bertran
    Regards,
    Denis

Hi Denis,

This is not a Bertand or Delande. Both of those makers have very recognizable characteritsics that we will cover later. There is no question that #14 is the product of another maker, which according to Krogulec was French.

Cheers,
    Tony

Next up . . . In contrast to the deluxe KW#14 posted earlier here we have a rather homely KW, #7 in the Krogulec list. This is also a scarcely seen variant, but when one does surface it’s often confused with the large Type 1 Knedler because of the many similarities shared with its more popular cousin. (the two examples of this cross in my collection were both described as being non-serial number Type 1 Knedlers at time of purchase). Despite the similarities, on close examination it’s evident that this cross is the product of another maker. See side by side comparison below, Knedler on the left. (sorry, overlooked taking a side by side picture of the reverse)

The quickest way to differentiate this cross from the Knedler is from the more elaborate font used in the date numerals. Close up picture posted below. The #7 is on the right.

The overall quality falls short of what most other makers were producing at the time. Edge finishing appears to have been kept to a minimum, and die striking flaws were ignored. The ribbon ring suspender is crude and it’s connection to the upper arm of the cross is sloppy. These were also weak and known to break.

Interestingly, there was a late production small series of Type 1 Knedler crosses that utilized an almost identical ribbon ring suspender. And to further confuse things, the ribbon ring on this cross also borrows the “interconnect” union that is a hallmark of the Type 1 Knedler crosses (although not all of these Knedlers used this type ribbon ring).

This cross has survived in good condition with its ribbon ring suspender still intact. The ribbon itself is period, although quite clearly a previous owner preferred repair to outright replacement.

Unfortunately, once again, the name of the #7’s maker remains unknown.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Attached Images Attached Images

hello, can anyone please tell me if these 2 crosses and ribbons are original?

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

cross 2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  
    Last edited by nvidia101; 09-13-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast