Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Article about: by IvanPutski Here's another little tidbit on that cross.... It was awarded to a fighter pilot. Hello Ivan, OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name? The award lists

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

hello, am pretty sure the ribbon is not original but what about the cross?

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

can anyone tell me if the ribbon and award bar are original on this cross?

Quote by nvidia101 View Post
    hello, am pretty sure the ribbon is not original but what about the cross?

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types
    Hi again - You're right about the ribbon. The cross is a copy.

Regards, Tony

- - Updated - -

Quote by nvidia101 View Post
    can anyone tell me if the ribbon and award bar are original on this cross?

Ribbon is new. Bar also looks like a copy, but would like to see a picture of the reverse.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

3mk
    ?

Thanks for posting the photos of the bars Tony! I didn't know there were 2 different bars used on crosses.

You’re most welcome Emil.

High time for another pre-WW2 variant: the Arthus Bertand full size type, ~43mm across. Another French made cross of a high quality. Production was supposedly started as early as 1921.

Crisply struck these have a distinct matte surface finish. A quick way to spot these is by the unique cross bar in the letter “ Ł” , and in the way the serif in the letter A tucks under the Ł, as shown in the illustration borrowed from the Krogulec reference.

There are known examples of this cross that have the Wincenty Wabiński maker name stamped into them on the lower reverse arm (pictured below) suggesting that they were imported into Poland by Mr. Wabiński.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

jbk
    ?

Hi Guys,

Has been quite a while I have been on the forum last time. Apologies. I wonder if you could help me with this one. Cannot say what it is and where it is from, copy? Would appreciate your help. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

So this is the best you can offer us after your time away? ;)

Someone was quite desperate with this one. The cross pattern is covered in posts #79 to #85 of this thread. After taking a file to the reverse of one of these crosses someone then roughed up the obverse for good measure. I can’t discern if the cross started out as a genuine example or a fake, but either way it’s worthless now.

Regards,
    Tony

3mk
    ?

Hi guys,

Thought I might share photos of a cross I found on ebay. The description that parts of the cross are handmade/engraved. What are your thoughts? I'm not sure why anyone would go through all that trouble to do it by hand.
    Poland - Cross of Valor 1920 | eBay

Never seen anything like that before. Fake or legit?

Yes, saw this one. First listed as an open auction, then closed and relisted as a Buy It Now for something like $300. There's also a tale of a possible connection to the undeground resistance, but nothing that sounded too solid. To me is looks like a sadly damaged Type 1 Knedler.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast