Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Article about: by IvanPutski Here's another little tidbit on that cross.... It was awarded to a fighter pilot. Hello Ivan, OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name? The award lists

A brief looks at the scarcely seen 36mm small pattern cross attributed to Arthus Bertrand of Paris. Krogulec suggests production dates from 1923 up to “about 1950?”. These are stamped in tombak, a brass alloy with high copper content. Typical of Bertrand, they are produced to a high quality.

Here we have three examples each with slight variations from the others. (click on the pictures to enlarge)

The most obvious variations are the suspensions. Ribbon rings are of different gauge wire. All rings have soldered joints. The crosses also vary slightly in their thickness.

The ball suspension is the most seldom seen and likely the earliest type. Note the stroke across the “L” on the obverse right cross arms is missing.

Bertrand also produced the larger 44mm type which was previously covered in post #125.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi
    My last cross.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Hello Wojt, and welcome to the forum.

WONDERFUL example of a Type 2 Knedler government issue cross. I love the original early multi-part type ribbon. Rare to see. Thanks for sharing this superb honest looking survivor.

Can’t help but ask, by chance do you know the name of the original recipient? The four awards of this decoration denoted by the bars attest to a remarkable soldier.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony
    I do not know who is the recipient ;(
    Thank you for the welcome.

Next sweet cross.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Attached Images Attached Images Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types 
    Last edited by wojtgda84; 11-06-2014 at 10:39 PM.

A good looking Stanisław Owczarski KW on period wz.29 ribbon. We cover this cross in post #47. Keep them coming Wojt!

Cheers,
    Tony

Default Issue Packaging

I hope everyone is enjoying a happy Christmas. The presents here are opened and wife and kids are off doing their own things which affords me a little time to post on a topic not covered previously: issue packaging for the KW.

For the longest time I had assumed that the KW did not have any issue packaging, due to never having seen any nor there being any mention in the limited literature devoted to this decoration. However, packaging did exist in the form of these small envelopes embossed with a leatherette texture and the letters “K.W.” along with the image of the small pattern Type 2 36mmm cross.

To date I have seen only three examples of these envelopes. All have contained Knedler made crosses in them, both Type 1 large and Type 2 small pattern, serial numbered government issue and non-numbered. The envelopes accompanying numbered crosses have the serial number manually marked in ink on the inside of the flap.

This envelope once contained cross number 56214, which was a Type 2 small series cross ( . . . I’m on the lookout for this cross – handsome reward offered to anyone who finds it!)

Here is a numbers matching set, large pattern cross:

Here’s a non-serial numbered envelope recently acquired. This one contained a cardboard insert along with a non-numbered cross, minus ribbon.

The holder was likely intended to hold the decoration in this manner

The rarity of these envelopes may in part be attributed due to their use for crosses issued to foreigners. This is in keeping with the higher quality of packaging, award documents, and even the decorations themselves that was typical of the Poles when bestowing national awards to foreigners.

Of course, anyone that can offer any more information or show any more example is more than welcome to chime in.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Hi Tony,

The KW, like other decorations, did have issue packaging. The quality varied from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have seen parts of a few plain paper envelopes with the letters K.W. The one in your pictures looks to be an official issue envelope compared to what I have seen. Due to time very few issue envelopes have survived to date. The one in your picture is a real gem.

By the way, some manufactures supplied packaging similar to Lorioli envelopes even to cap badges.

Happy New Year!

Kosa

Hi Kosa, and best wishes for a Happy New Year to you also.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I’ve seen examples of 2nd Republic period manufacturer marked glassine packaging akin to the ones used by Lorioli. One or two from my collection have been posted elsewhere here. Very seldom seen ephemeral artifacts, hence their special attraction.

I would be most interested to see any other manufacturer packaging for the KW. If you have any pictures please do post for us. Up until a couple of years ago I had never seen any until finding the envelope for above pictured KW 56214 in an obscure collectibles auction that a friend thankfully turned me onto. Although knowing that if the lowly (with all due respect!) 3rd class Krzyż Zasługi was issued in a special packet then surely there must have been something for the Krzyż Walecznych. Incidentally, this envelope appears to be from the same manufacturer as the one for the KW. I’ve previously posted this elsewhere on the forum, so my apologies for the repeat:

Regards,
    Tony

?

Сześć Antoni,

If I come across such packaging again I sure will post pictures. I saw worn out parts of plain cardborad K.W. envelopes in the late 90' I guess. Haven't seen them again since then.

Again, Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku użytkownikom portalu i kolekcjonerom, a takze szczególne wyrazy podziękowania Andrzejowi za jego nieocenioną pomoc w ustalaniu danych prawowitych właścieli Krzyża Monte Cassino.

Kosa

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast