Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Article about: by IvanPutski Here's another little tidbit on that cross.... It was awarded to a fighter pilot. Hello Ivan, OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name? The award lists

Hi all,

Any thoughts on this KW1920? It is listed as a Knedler variant. I can see the ribbon is not original, but, aside from the cross showing it's age (or we could say character ), it looks genuine to me. Would be grateful to hear opinions as always!

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Hello Iron Hussar,

The KW nr 25238 made by the firm of Jan Knedler in Warsaw is OK this variant was numbered from 3001 - 42500, then it was decided to reduce the size of the cross to a size similar to the Virtuti Militari.

Unlike the 3rd Variant also made by the firm of Jan Knedler numbered from 42501 - 59999 this has still retained the original ribbon suspension ring with the unique joint.

So this recieves a thumbs up from me.

Best of luck

Andrzej

Thanks for the excellent info (as always) Andrzej!

Hello IH,

Agreed with Andrzej. A genuine Knedler Type 1, although suspended from a reproduction ribbon.

I will need to deviate a little bit on the serial number transition from large to small pattern crosses. Although existing literature says that the large Type 1 crosses were produced to serial number 42500, they were in fact produced up to about 43000. I am away from my photo archives at the moment but will post the evidence later this week.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello again, further to my prior post, here is the proof that the large pattern Type 1 crosses production did not cease at serial number 42500. Cross # 42963 was awarded to Jan Józef Papiż, also decorated with the VM:

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hello, Tony!

I compared the handle on your KW (#42963) with a handle on a normal Knedler KW. Do not you think that they are different?
    I mean, narrow strips, which are between wide strips.

Sincerely, Sergei.

Hello Sergei,

You have a sharp eye. Go to post # 168. Here I bring up the two different sword grips found on these crosses. The most common grip contains eight distinct segments. But scattered amongst the serial and non-serial numbered crosses are seven segment grip crosses. These are actually quite rare. It is a legitimate variant of the Type 1 that is not identified in the Krogulec reference.

Regards,
    Tony

Default Cross of valor

Hello,
    Could you please tell me if this is genuine cross? If so, who is recipient of this decoration?
    Thank you for your time,
    Rob
    Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 TypesCross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Hello Rob and welcome to the War Relics Forum,

Your cross is a genuine pre-WW2 Type 1 Knedler. I will move your post over to the thread devoted to this decoration in the pre-war section where you can read more about this particular cross. Unfortunately the record of awards doesn't exist, at least as far as is known at this time.

Regards,
    Tony

Default Thank you for this information

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hello Rob and welcome to the War Relics Forum,

Your cross is a genuine pre-WW2 Type 1 Knedler. I will move your post over to the thread devoted to this decoration in the pre-war section where you can read more about this particular cross. Unfortunately the record of awards doesn't exist, at least as far as is known at this time.

Regards,
    Tony
    Thank you for this information.
    Best regards,
    Rob

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast