Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Article about: by IvanPutski Here's another little tidbit on that cross.... It was awarded to a fighter pilot. Hello Ivan, OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name? The award lists

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Quote by IvanPutski View Post
    Here's another little tidbit on that cross....
    It was awarded to a fighter pilot.
    Hello Ivan,

OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name?

The award lists for the pre-war Cross of Valour are lost to the mists of time, so unless there is a corresponding award document there is no certainty who was the original recipient.

I’d like to see some award documents posted on this thread as well as there were several types, so if you by chance have a picture of the award document for this cross please be kind and share

Cheers,
    T.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hello Ivan,

OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name?

The award lists for the pre-war Cross of Valour are lost to the mists of time, so unless there is a corresponding award document there is no certainty who was the original recipient.

I’d like to see some award documents posted on this thread as well as there were several types, so if you by chance have a picture of the award document for this cross please be kind and share

Cheers,
    T.
    It is attributed to Tadeusz Miskiewicz of 15 Eakadra. It was part of a grouping that included his other medals, badges, documents and photos, but sadly, the KW doc was not among them.

To carry on with the Różycki crosses, sort of . . .

Posted below is a bit of a controversial type. It is often considered a Różycki product (“the dated viariant”), although production has also been attributed to Krupski and Matulewicz (KiM). I can’t help but lean towards KiM as being the actual maker because of the marked differences to the known Różycki crosses, although there are definitely distinct similarities (same relative proportions, size ~44mm, font, etc.).

Krogulec identifies it as a Różycki, but I have also heard it claimed to be a case of KiM borrowing some design cues, or even using a Różycki from which to create a casting mold. The cross does look to be cast, which may account for the poor quality and finishing, well below that of all other pre-war maker’s products – including the non-dated official Różycki crosses.

As with much of the production history of pre-war decorations and badges, reliable information about this cross is unfortunately lost to the mists of time.

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Hi Gents,
    Here's one KW w/doc in my collection-I might have one more, but I'd have to dig through the mountains of beer cans and pizza boxes to find it. This, of course, is the smaller version of the cross, which I believe was made by Knedler. I don't have any KW books, so fill me in Professor Z, if I am in error. This is part of a Legion grouping I have, which includes this photo of the boys tapping into a nice, fresh keg of lemonade. Mr. Cieckiewicz is seated in the center.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Sorry, still getting used to the mechanics of this nifty site. Besides, I have the flu, and I'm delirious.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types 

Hi Henry,

Quick reply from work . . . Nice set there Henry, and all the more so by virtue of the photograph of the recipient. The ribbon is period correct, as is the suspension rod. The award document bears the facsimile signature of the great General Kazimierz Sosnkowski. The set is in superb condition – which is rare to see.

Yes, you are correct that this is a Type 2 Knedler, with the reduced size from 44mm to 36mm across. The word is that this was done to bring the size down to that of the Virtuti Militari. It was supposedly felt that the larger version Cross of Valour upstaged the smaller Virtuti Militari. An alternate theory was that the smaller cross was instituted simply as a cost savings measure.

The official issues of the Type 2 Knedler were stamped with serial numbers up to just under 60000. From memory there were about 15000 issued, making it the scarcer of the two official Knedler types. Knedler also produced these crosses without serial numbers to be used as substitutes for wear or to replace lost crosses. In this case these smaller ones are far more common than the non-serial numbered replacement issue larger crosses. I’ll post some examples of these later, along with an official Type 1 cross.

Until then . . .

T.

?

and do we also have him identified in the photo?
    I know ....its too much to ask...
    but I have to...

3mk
    ?

Lets make some bets, my bets on the guy in the white shirt with the Maciejowka
    Indeed its always nice to know how the guy looked,but anyways nice cross of valor!It came with a belka,photo, and document?Thats a wonderful set.
    Regards

Emil

Here's another low-numbered one. #247

OK, high time to post the most well known of the official issue 2nd Republic crosses: the large version Knedler, also called the Type 1.

Production of these crosses ran from late 1920 into 1921 starting immediately after the contract to Albin Rozycki expired and his lot of 3000 crosses were delivered. About 40,000 of the Type 1 serial numbered crosses were produced by Jan Knedler of Warsaw, presumably starting at # 3001 up to about # 43000. Here is an example complete with award document:

The Type 1 cross measures 44mm across and was followed by the smaller Type 2 at 36mm. A total of about 57000 government issue serial numbered crosses were produced by the Warsaw based Jan Knedler operation.

Knedler also produced both large and small un-numbered crosses. The small version was produced in greater quantity.

The majority of the Type 1 Knedler crosses have a unique ribbon ring with an interlocking connection. Some of the late production large crosses (serial numbered above 40,000) had the ribbon ring joint soldered.

Regards.
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 06-14-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: corrections + upgraded pictures

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast