Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

Article about: by IvanPutski Here's another little tidbit on that cross.... It was awarded to a fighter pilot. Hello Ivan, OK, the suspense builds . . . so now how about giving us the name? The award lists

Default Re: Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types

On the 1st picture you have posted, on the middle picture are there German solders?
    M

Quote by Mariusz View Post
    On the 1st picture you have posted, on the middle picture are there German solders?
    M
    Yes. Pre-War review of troops. Gen. Rayski with a Luftwaffe General if I remember correctly.

3mk
    ?

Hey guys,
    Im trying to pick up 1 exile cross of valor and 1 pre-war.So what would be the cheapest varient of pre-war, the Jan Knedler cross or is there another varient like a jewlers copy?
    Thanks

Emil, I would not focus on what’s cheapest, but what is genuine. Be disciplined in setting aside your spare change to build up enough of a ‘war chest’ to be ready to buy the right cross when it comes up. Keep an eye out on the market and network with trusted individuals in the hobby. I assure you that in time a perfect candidate will pop up.

The most common pre-war cross type is the large Knedler, covered earlier in this thread. Try to find one on a pre-war ribbon. Don’t jump at the first one you see. Be patient and await one in good condition. This will protect your investment. If at all possible, try to obtain one with a matching award document, although these are few and far between. Again, don’t be in a hurry. Time is on your side.

Regards,
    Tony

3mk
    ?

Thanks Tony Ill take your advice

Emil, you are wise beyond your years

T.

Time to add another interesting variant. This is a ‘replacement cross’ made by Stanisław Owczarski, apparently in the 1920’s. It is unique in that it is made up of three separate parts: the main body of the cross, the shield on the obverse and the sword on the reverse.

This is of the larger size type measuring 44mm across.

Posted below are some close ups showing the parts, and also one that is missing the sword.

The Owczarski crosses can still be found for relatively inexpensive prices. Gazing into my crystal ball I see that this will not always be the case !

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

3mk
    ?

Tony,Your wiser then the proffesor!
    From now on your Proffesor.Zawadzki
    Nice replacement cross Ive never heard of this maker.

Does anyone have a Cross of Valor which belonged to a 1863 Uprising vetran?

Thanks Emil. But nope, certainly no professor. A mere student who’s passionate about the subject. And please believe me, I have lots to learn.

Cheers,
    T.

OK, high time for the next Cross of Valour variant:

This is the rare “pisana data” or “kaligraficzna” version, both terms referring to the unique ‘scripted’ font style of the characters used in the 1920 date. Also unique is the unusual and progressive design of the eagle with an open crown which has a wingspread that looks ahead to the wz..27 eagle eventually adopted as the national symbol that remains to the present day.

This variant has been attributed to Lwow based maker Marian Eugeniusz Unger. Strangely, its distribution is connected with the Wielkopolska army units located in the Poznań region at the opposite end of the country bordering Germany.

The cross is made of a light brass alloy and is of the larger standard size for this decoration at a 44mm width.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types   Cross of Valour (Krzyż Walecznych) – Pre-WW2 Types  

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast