MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?

Article about: I recently bought this beat-up and very tattered early Polish Air Force photo for that very reason... it was torn and well-handled I would love to know if anyone can possibility identify the

Default Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?

I recently bought this beat-up and very tattered early Polish Air Force photo for that very reason... it was torn and well-handled I would love to know if anyone can possibility identify the unit from the very little detail in the photo—apart from the no. 2 on the fuselage? Any clues to the type of aircraft and year? There is nothing on the back of the photo that would help either.

Any PAF detectives out there that can help... much appreciated
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?  
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?

You need someone to identify what engine that is - seems like some sort of radial. If you can get that you might be able to figure out which aircraft were equipped with it in Polish service. A clue might be the propeller hub(?).

If you get the aircraft you then might get a time period, the squadron etc.

The engine appears to be a License built Polish Bristol Jupiter 9 cylinder radial engine used on the PZL P.7 fighter. The fuselage with the No.2 could possibly be this fighter variant or a BH-33 which places this image in the early 1930's. The engine appears to be on a test stand with 90 deg exhaust pipes, the aircraft in the back ground also seems to have its wings removed. My best guess is this is a group of mechanics at an airforce or squadron maintenance facility.

Chris......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?   Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?  

Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?  

Thanks guys

Well after a little more searching I'm pretty sure this engine belongs to a Avia BH 33 (PWS-A) based on the attached photo. Note the propeller style and the 90 deg exhaust pipes when comparing this image and Stefan's.

Here is the link for a better view of the image Zbiory NAC on-line - prototyp

Chris......
    Attached Images Attached Images Early Polish Airforce- help to identify? 

Quote by ChrisW01 View Post
    Well after a little more searching I'm pretty sure this engine belongs to a Avia BH 33 (PWS-A) based on the attached photo. Note the propeller style and the 90 deg exhaust pipes when comparing this image and Stefan's.

Here is the link for a better view of the image Zbiory NAC on-line - prototyp

Chris......

Thanks Chris... cool military

Anyone recommend an authoritative reference book re early PAF?

No worries Stefan

Don't know which book is the most authoritative on the PAF but you'll find the publication
    by Jerzy B. Cynk titled Polish Aircraft, 1893-1939 published by Putnam 1971,
    ISBN 0370000854, 9780370000855 is the most comprehensive reference on all aircraft
    designed & built in Poland up till 1939. There are plenty to be purchased online at Abe books, Amazon etc.

My copy has been a most excellent reference.
    Chris.........
    Attached Images Attached Images Early Polish Airforce- help to identify?