Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying formation.

Article about: Recently I rediscovered the photograph of my great grandfather taken in celebration of his enlistment in 1920. Unfortunately the exact details around his service have been lost to time and I

?

Default Help identifying formation.

Recently I rediscovered the photograph of my great grandfather taken in celebration of his enlistment in 1920. Unfortunately the exact details around his service have been lost to time and I’m hoping somebody here might be knowledgeable enough to piece together an answer from what little is known.

He enlisted in Krakow and spent most (maybe all of) the Polish Bolshevik war on the southern front. Most definitely a cavalry man and though I’m not 100% sure I think it was a Szwolezer regiment.

Naturally the photo is attached though as you can see the winter (?) jacket successfully obscures any details of his uniform.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying formation.  
    Last edited by litd; 01-19-2012 at 04:26 PM.

?

Default Re: Help identifying formation.

litd welcome to the forum could you please use the photo uploader provided by the forum reason being if the link to photobucket is lost we will lose the image.

Regards Mark K

?

Understood. Corrected.

On a type up of Szwoleżer on google and then a browse through the images section you can find some similar stuff, the hat in your pic is a definitive clue more so than the uniform in any way.....

I can rule out the possibility of him not being in the 1 Pułk Szwolerżerów as there hat has a red center strip

2 Pu

I think the 2nd, but no translation if is needed for the page

?

I think he is one of Szwolezers as he has round shaped hat. Ulans had to wear rogatywka style hat.
    As pic is b/w it'll be difficult to determine in which unit he was enlisted to. I would say 2nd Szwolezer Regiment.

?

Thanks for the help.

The info pretty much confirmed what we suspected but its nice to get some input from other sources.