Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help me ID

Article about: Hello All, I am trying to figure out what unit my dziadzio was in. My babcia said (she didn't know him during WWII) he was Ulhan but I do not believe so. He was from Wasilkow (Bialystok). I

Default Help me ID

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out what unit my dziadzio was in. My babcia said (she didn't know him during WWII) he was Ulhan but I do not believe so. He was from Wasilkow (Bialystok). I believe he was in the Podlaska Brygada Kawalerii. Attached is his picture from 1939. Please let me know, it will be a great help!

Help me ID

?

hello
    It seems to me that on the epaulet on the degree starszy ułan serial number 14 appears indicating that it served in 14 Pułk Ułanów Jazłowieckich.
    Cheers

Definitively it is not a member of the 14 Pułk Ułanów Jałowieckich. First of all, he has no cavalry patches with burgee, secondly – 14 Cavalry Regiment stationed in Lwów, ca. 460 km far from the Białystok. In the Polish Army of 1918-1939 the rule of regionalization took effect, and almost all enlisted men served in the same region as they lived before conscription. Only exemption was with service of minorities – Ukrainians, Byelorussians could be transferred to different locations – e.g. to units placed in the central Poland (in 1937-1939 many of them served in squad commanded by my grandfather in 31 Infantry Regiment – 31 Pułk Strzelców Kaniowskich in Łódź).

The man visible on the photo served in 14 DAK – Dywizjon Artylerii Konnej (Horse Artillery Squadron) that stood in Bialystok. The photo was taken in the end of 20’s or in the first half of 30’s, before the new wz.1935 cap was introduced (i.e. not later than until the end of 1935). We can see Shooter’s Badge (Odznaka Strzelecka - lower) and Common Sport’s Badge (Powszechna Odznaka Sportowa – upper) on his uniform. The German (Prussian) type saber could be a property of the photo atelier, as many of them possessed such props to decorate photographed soldiers (especially those originating from mounted regiments).

It is a kind of goblin there - 14 Cavalry Regiment did not station in Luftwaffeów (btw - what the hell is this? but in Lwów (Lviv at Ukrainep resently)

Ok. I will not try to write name "Lwow" with Polish letters anymore here - otherway it will be changed automatically to "Luftwaffeów"...

?

Hello Tomasz70
    You're right, I suggested the only number on the epaulet
    Cheers

Thanks. My dad told me that he received Virtuti Militari (his army buddies even told me dad about him receiving it). But we have no records of it; he gave it to a lady who lost two sons in the battle. Would either of you know if it would be worth contacting Warszawa to find out if it is true?

Please post your grandfathers first and surname name and we can check the VM award list. If this comes up positive you can further your research by contacting the Polish Military Records Center in Rembertow-Warsaw, Poland:

Centralne Archiwum Wojska
    Blok 126
    Warsaw-Rembertow, Poland 00-910

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Zawadzki, his name was Roman Sakowicz born 1912. Have his some records from being in Ander's Army, just not the Polish army.

Sakowicz, the VM award list does not name your grandfather Roman Sakowicz for either IIRP era or with the Polish Armed Forces in the West. The sole Sakowicz listed is Stefan who served in the AK. Perhaps a relative? Sorry that I could not provide the confirmation you were seeking.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne