Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help with a uniform

Article about: Here are two photos of a cousin, David Polaski. Can anyone tell me what kind of a soldier he was? What branch of the army? While neither photo is particularly clear, the one where he's weari

Default Help with a uniform

Here are two photos of a cousin, David Polaski. Can anyone tell me what kind of a soldier he was? What branch of the army? While neither photo is particularly clear, the one where he's wearing a shirt shows off the hat badge better. I'd like to use this information to possibly trace what happened to him. Thanks.Help with a uniformHelp with a uniform

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Help with a uniform

The photo appears to have been taken in the late 20's or early 30's as he is wearing a wz.19 tunic and a wz.27 Rogatywka cap. He appear to have a sabre at his side, so I assume he was part of the Cavalry? Do you have the whole picture of him in uniform? If he is wearing riding boots he is most likely Cavalry, if hes wearing putties then hes most likely part of the infantry.

The photo was definitely taken in November or December 1935. Unfortunately, the photo didn't go below the knees, so I don't know what kind of footwear he's wearing. He's definitely wearing a sword. Would there have been any kind issued other than a cavalry sabre? His niece thinks she may have a full photo of him in uniform, if she does, I'll post it. Thanks for your help.

GFC
    ?

He is wearing a a saber, but without lancer pennons on the collar. a fair chance he is artillery, but he is a, pardon my Jersey vocabulary, a jack-shit private, and the saber most likely borrowed for the photo. His should strap has a metal cypher on it, and a clear image might clinch the unit.

Hopefully, you might find other photos of Mr. Polanski in uniform. What part of the country did he come from, what else might you know about his history?

Cheers,
    GFC

Well, we all gotta start at the bottom. I tried to make out what was on the shoulder strap, but it really isn't very clear. My gut tells me it's a "4", but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. I hope to get a clearer photo.

A big problem is knowing his actual name. His brother, my father's cousin, changed his name to "Palasny" when he came to America. His one surviving daughter thinks the name was originally "Polaski" or "Polanski". They came from Pinsk. I assume that "David" is just "Dawid" and nothing fancy.