Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Hussars Death Head badge or a copy?

Article about: A seller I know found some WW2 items when clearing out the house of his deceased Uncle and we have been in discussions regarding some of his finds. This one badge he is quite excited about a

Default Hussars Death Head badge or a copy?

A seller I know found some WW2 items when clearing out the house of his deceased Uncle and we have been in discussions regarding some of his finds.

This one badge he is quite excited about and thinks it is German but I have to disagree. The screwback indicates Polish origin to me but this is nothing I have ever seen before. Following the Polish clue i've discovered the badge is supposed to be a Hussars Deaths Head Division Badge.

But is it original or a cheap copy?

To my eyes the rough casting around the swords grips and the file marks on the reverse indicate a copy but perhaps this is correct for the period and the manufacturer?

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Glenn

Hussars Death Head badge or a copy?Hussars Death Head badge or a copy?

Default Re: Hussars Death Head badge or a copy?

looks like a polish repro....

Quote by militarymania View Post
    looks like a polish repro....
    I agree 100%

I've opened a thread in the Polish Militaria forum to take a look at this.

I might add that the Dead head Division Was acturly a Polish/Preusian Division and therfore the Polish origin on the screwback, for those who diddent know!.
    A link to a no doubt repro :948 POLISH POLAND HUSSARS OF DEATH REGIMENT, SILESIA (08/04/2010)

This badge is definitely a copy.

There are some that consider this a fantasy badge that was never officially issued. But it was a legitimately issued badge accompanied by award documentation. I will dig out an image of an award doc and post later

Quote by macduck View Post
    I might add that the Dead head Division Was acturly a Polish/Preusian Division and therfore the Polish origin on the screwback, for those who diddent know!. . .
    This was actually a Polish unit. The Prussian connection has to do with the name “Hussars of Death” which some say was derived from the similarly named Prussian elite cavalry unit that fought during the Franco-Prussian War in 1870 and also existed during the WW1 era.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hussars Death Head badge or a copy?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Hussars Death Head badge or a copy? 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you for the advice Tony, I will advise the seller of the sad news.

Glenn, you're most welcome.

Here's the promised picture this badge's award document (from W. Stela reference: Polish Honour & Commemmorative Badges 1914-1921)

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hussars Death Head badge or a copy?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Wow! Now THAT is a rare document!

Excellent doc. The badge looks much better than the copy with the alien skull
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377