Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Identifying Uniform

Article about: I need some assistance in identifying my grandfather's uniform. He was born in 1901 in Gliny Male, Galicia now Poland. He joined the military when he was 15 years old. We were told he joined

Default Identifying Uniform

I need some assistance in identifying my grandfather's uniform. He was born in 1901 in Gliny Male, Galicia now Poland. He joined the military when he was 15 years old. We were told he joined the cavalry. Could this be a Polish Legion uniform?

Identifying Uniform

PawelS
    ?

Photo from the years 1920- 25, cavalry.
    Jacket, rogatywka wz 19, saber wz 17.

Thank you for response, is this a Polish Legion uniform or other? Can give more details as to why you think his uniform is from 1920 - 1925? We were always told he was in WW1.

Hello. Not a Legion uniform. The uniform your grandfather (a corporal here) is wearing is the first pattern introduced as part of the standardization program implemented for the army of the newly reconstituted nation. Hence the wz. (model) 1919 designation. The uniform standard was revised again in several years, so this puts the date of the photo in the span that Pawel indicated.

Prior to this your grandfather’s service could have been with one of the partitioning powers, the Polish Legions or one of the other Polish military formations such as Haller’s Blue Army, Wielkopolska Army, etc. A turbulent time in Polish military history!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I so pleased to be finally getting some answers, thank you both so very much for your responses. I understanding in doing the family research it was a very turbulent time in Polish history and know now why my Grandfather did not talk about it.
    Last edited by bunnyart; 11-20-2014 at 06:32 AM.

What's strange to me, that it looks like cuff is attached with 3 buttons - it was rather unusual in case of the Polish uniforms

Sharp eye Tomasz. If that is a three button cuff, as it appears to be, then it is indeed unusual. I would not expect that such a uniform modification would have been easily tolerated as adhering to regulations was known to be strict, especially for junior ranks.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Pre-war military atelier photos could be treated as a source of information, but some skepticism should be kept (especially as regards for those taken in 20's). Most of the photo ateliers were equipped with military requisites - uniforms, sabres, officers belts, caps, riding boots etc., to help customers look more stunning, fabulous... It could be such a case.

Bunnyart,

What was your Grandfathers surname, i am familiar with family names in Gliny Małe, as my Wife's Grandfather on paternal side was born in Gliny Wielkie next door, and i have been through all the Church records for all villages and have some shots of the pages from a microfilm search.

He and very possibly his relatives may also have been conscripted into Austro-Hungarian service in WWI which there is a database for wounded, killed or imprisoned.

Thank you Cenowski, I would appreciate any additional information I could receive. My grandfather's name was Jan Taras he was born 13 December 1901. His parents were Albert Taras and Marie Krempa. He had two brothers Jozef and Micheal (sorry I know that is not the Polish spelling of the name) but I am not sure if they served in the military as well. Thank you for your assistance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast