Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Katyn Thesis

Article about: At the request of forum members, member wayupnorth, John Solski, has generously provided his Katyn thesis for posting. John has added these comments to serve as an introduction. More informa

Default Katyn Thesis

At the request of forum members, member wayupnorth, John Solski, has generously provided his Katyn thesis for posting.

John has added these comments to serve as an introduction. More information is also contained in this thread from the PSZ forum, including a photo of his father Joseph’s framed medal grouping:
    Valour Cross and Monte Cassino Cross group

Quote by wayupnorth View Post
    Joseph Solski was my father. He passed away in 1985. He was one of those with the familiar story, living in the eastern part of Poland, as it then was, near Lvov. Scooped up by the Russians and placed in their camps for 2 years, then released and sent off to join the British 8th, he was with second Polish Tank corp. Interestingly enough, I have learned more about my father from members of this forum than I did anywhere else. I had posted a picture of a shadow box of my fathers' medals and then assorted members sent me all kinds of information regarding my father. I shared that information with my older brother who lives in California and retired following a career in the Canadian military.

It was way back probably in 1978 or so when I first heard about Katyn. My brother had returned to our home to visit his little brother, me, and our parents. My brother was a fighter pilot in the CAF. Our father very rarely spoke about his experiences but on this occasion we got him talking. He told us about Katyn and in particular the details of seeing names and dates of Poles written on prison camp walls, then whitewashed over. Following that discussion, I started to research Katyn. Remember, this was pre-internet days so research meant working through libraries and inter-library loans. I was working on a double major in political science and anthropology at the time. My political science stream was Sino-Soviet studies. During my third year, I asked one of my profs whether I could do a paper on Katyn. He was astounded when I mentioned to him that I had an almost "primary" source available in the person of my father. I spent a good part of that term getting books sent from all over to Sudbury Ontario where I was located. I hand-wrote my first draft, then typed the final copy on a Brother portable manual typewriter. I submitted the paper and after the Prof returned it to me, he asked me whether I'd consider doing a thesis on this as an independent study in my fourth year. He offered to assist me and indicated that the history department was interested in this as well. I agreed to do this but then got accepted to law school, so I never returned for my fourth year of undergrad. The Prof, Dr. Yin, was an interesting fellow, not even five feet tall, who used to sit in the university library each day reading Pravda in Russian.

I recall my father’s response after reading my paper as “See I told you.... ". . . “We knew who did it, before we even knew what had happened". At the time, the Polish government in exile was hearing from front lines that no officers, just enlisted men were showing up from Soviet camps. Those enlisted men, such as my father, were telling the bosses the rumours they had heard and their observations of names and messages written on camp walls. The most startling one was the idea of putting the officers on barges then sinking them on Black Sea. At that point, roughly ten thousand men were still unaccounted for but since then I believe two other mass graves have been found.

The Russians, with the explicit approval of Stalin, proceeded in this fashion solely for the reason of decapitating Polish society. They assumed they would control at least the eastern half of Poland following the war so eliminating the leaders of Poland would make their future dominance easier.
    Click on the posting to magnify view:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Katyn Thesis  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

pages 2, 3, 4
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

pages 5, 6, 7

pages 8, 9, 10

pages 11, 12, 13

page 14, Footnotes

?

Great read.
    Thanks
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I remember my grandmother talking about Katyn and Soviet invasion in september of 1939.
    Terrible times.

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    I remember my grandmother talking about Katyn and Soviet invasion in september of 1939.
    Terrible times.
    I too became familiar with what Katyn meant early on. Anyone who grew up in a Polish family with members who had lived through those years knew about Katyn. Outside Poland it was freely and regularly discussed. But inside Poland during the half-century of Soviet occupation the topic was verboten. One would take great personal risk by daring to mention Katyn in unfamiliar company. Such was the climate of repression which I vividly remember as a youngster who spent two summers in Poland back in the 70's. It left a lasting and formative impression on my sense of what freedom meant and political philosophy.

Regards,
    Tony

Indeed, Tony. I did not go to Poland until a couple of years ago so I have no experience of the old times to relate. My father did go back to where he was born back in 1972 at around the same time as the first "super Series". He had an older sister who he had not seen since 1939. When he got to Tarnopol, which was the big city nearest to his hometown, he was told by the Intourist "guide" who was following him around, that he was not allowed to go to his village since it was nor an approved tourist destination. As a result, Dad was unable to visit the graves of his parents. His sister had to come on the train to visit Dad. My father was fluent in Russian and that really upset the guides who thought he was just some second generation Pole who couldn't speak the language. when they discovered otherwise, they assigned another guide to Dad, just to follow him around and ensure he didn't talk to anyone. I still find that totally astounding. We have no concept!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast