Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Katyn victims

Article about: Copy of a letter sent by his wife to Red Cross in Chicago, USA. She explains that she had not heard of her husband, other than through other people. She says that he was last seen working at

Quote by Gawron Jr View Post
    Hi itakdalej,

On the family photo there is Lucjan along with his wife Stanislawa and one of two sisters. Her name is Ewa Garwonska. The other, younger sister was my late grandmother, Zofia Gawronska.
    I can't express how greatful I am to see these pictures.
    God bless.

It is such a pity that the Gawronska items left the family at some point.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Very true, Stefan. I've shown these photos to my family last night. They were speechless.

Quote by Gawron Jr View Post
    Very true, Stefan. I've shown these photos to my family last night. They were speechless.
    Presumably at some point after a death in the family the possessions were disposed of by a family member who did not appreciate the family history or a house clearance or maybe as sometimes happens they needed the money for other more mundane things....sad nonetheless.

Maybe itakdalej can produce high quality scans of the photos so at least prints can be made for those in your family that would like to have them.

I am aware that my grandmother Zofia left a few of her father's memorabilia in of Cracow's antic shops as we were struggling for cash at that time (joys of joining EU..), but what amazed me is that neither my mother or I could recall ever seeing photos produced by itakdalej.

Fantastic idea with scans, StefanM. Thank you.

And thank you for creating this website. Words can't describe how much it means to me and other people.

Hi, I have not had time to read the whole thread so if what I am saying is already detailed then appologies!! On Cannock Chase in Staffordshire England, there is a large monument to the massacre and, probably due to the large number of expatriate Poles in the area, services of rememberance are held periodically. Well worth a visit if the subject is of interest to you.
    Cheers MR

For many years despite repeated requests by the the SPK veterans association Katyn memorials were not permitted to be erected in the UK, and any Polish memorials could only be located in cemeteries. I was privileged to be on the team involved with creating the Polish Forces War Memorial at the National Arboretum.

I would like to express my gratitude to ITAKDALEJ. Not only he took his time to answer my messages, but he also scanned photos and documents that once were in my great grandfather possession.

But it doesn't stop there - this morning I've received email from my cousin that I've never met. She was, just like me, looking for any information about her great grandfather and just like me, found this fantastic website. She's called Gabriela and she's a granddaughter of Ewa Gawronska (baby on the family photo published by ITAKDALEJ).

To people like me, my cousin and many others this forum can be life changing, literally. I've only joined this forum 3 days ago.

I'm lost for words.

Once again, thank you.

Quaestia
    ?

Well, Gawron Jr, you were quicker than me in writing about this unexpected event - us finding each other thanks to this website
    I'm the granddaughter of Ewa Gawronska (Lucjan Gawronski's daughter) and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Itakdalej for publishing these pictures of our great-grandfather... pictures that I never knew existed. For me, a person interested in the history of our family, it really means a lot.

By the way, I'd like to share an additional piece of information regarding Lucjan Gawronski. In 1989 he was posthumously awarded "Medal za udział w wojnie obronnej Ojczyzny w 1939 r." (Medal For Participation In The War Of Defence 1939):
    Katyn victims

He was also awarded the rank of major.

Congratulations to the reunited Gawronska famliy....a great day indeed

It is indeed. Thank you guys!

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast