Dear all,

I am tracing my grandfather's steps from when he left Izabelin (Sosnowica) to when he arrived at the 307 Night Owls Squadron in England.

I know that by the 6th January 1940 he was on a boat in Athens, and by the 16th January 1940 he was in Syria, where he was with the Polish Army. After that he was in the 307 Squadron until the war ended.

In the 307 squadron (RAF service number 781893) he was a plane mechanic, and I suspect he was also doing something similar in Syria because the photos I have are with people who later became plane mechanics in other squadrons in England.

What I cannot work out is what he did between September 1939 and January 1940.

I have filled out the form to get his military records from Warsaw, but I am not optimistic because in big letters it says that they do not release information for "genealogical research".

On Krzystek's List, it says he was "plutonowy" in Poland, but there is no more information.

His name was Edward Król, D.O.B 31/01/1917, Bełcząc.

In September 1939 he would have been 22, so he would have done military service, and he lived in Izabelin (Sosnowica).

I imagine he would have been called up , but I cannot figure out where he would have been sent....to which battle or area, and which troops he would have been in.

He told me he saw the Polish soldiers falling before him like a farmer cuts wheat with a scythe. He also told me that when they were captured, the Germans took away the officers and shot them. I know he was put in a prisoner of war camp, but not a proper one, because the Germans advanced so quickly. He was put in a field with just wire holding in the Polish soldiers and only a few Germans guarding.

He managed to escape with two other men and hid during the day and advanced through the night. I believe he got to Romania, and then moved South, where he took the boat to Syria.

I tell you the informtion about the capture, because it sounds like he must have been in fields rather than a city.

Does anyone know where someone from Izabelin would have likely been sent? Does anyone know where there were makeshift prisoner of war camps?

I would be so, so grateful for any suggestions or information.

Thank you so much,

Natalie

This photo was taken by my great grandmother, I suspect when he left their home.

Likely area of deployment and capture of soldier from Izabelin (Sosnowica), September 1939

Here are some more...

Likely area of deployment and capture of soldier from Izabelin (Sosnowica), September 1939Likely area of deployment and capture of soldier from Izabelin (Sosnowica), September 1939Likely area of deployment and capture of soldier from Izabelin (Sosnowica), September 1939