Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Military Timepieces

Article about: Fantastic topic. Speaking about pre war Polish Air Force watches there was one not long time ago on one of the listings. Acording to the description it seems to be from PZL P-37 bomber. Real

Default Military Timepieces

Posting this thread at the request of a new forum member starhidiamu. Military watch collectors are a devoted and enthusiastic group, and relatively small in number in comparison to those specializing in other areas of militaria. As such I don’t expect this thread to be a beehive of activity, and perhaps locating is in the PSZnZ section may be a better location. But there is a thread with some watch coverage there, and the first entry happens to be watch of pre war vintage . . .

This watch was presented to Colonel Marian Korewo by the officer corps on his retirement as CO of the 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment in 1939. Korewo was a very accomplished military man whose career spanned the pre-war army through to the Polish Armed Forces in the West (brief bio posted below is from Generałowie Polski Niepodległej – T. Kryska-Karski). He held many important posts including CO of the 2nd Motorized Artillery Regiment of the 1st Armoured Division and also with the 5th Kresowa Infantry Division of the 2nd Corps. Korewo was awarded the Virtuti Militari, and was eventually was promoted to general.

Aside from the historical connection to this officer, this time piece is probably more interesting for its watch band than the actual watch. The band is actually a silver bracelet that has had a watch added. The watch is a Swiss made Cyma. The bracelet / band has a small enameled plaque bearing the crossed cannon motif of the 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment. The reverse is inscribed:

(to the) Commanding Officer of the 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment Colonel Marian Korewo to commemorate (your) service with the 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment from November 1st 1935 to June 21st 1939
    (from the) Officer Corps

The clasp is marked with the standard Polish pre-war silver hallmarks with maker initials and a number '2' denoting .875 purity.

Looking forward to seeing other examples of military watches.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Timepieces   Military Timepieces  

Military Timepieces   Military Timepieces  

Attached Images Attached Images Military Timepieces 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default Re: Military Timepieces

Here’s another timepiece from the collection to share with you (and keep the thread from dropping off the page) – an “MS WOJSK” pocket watch.

I don’t know too much about these MS WOJSK marked pocket watches other than there were supposedly two issues of these, one in 1934 and the second in 1936. Both issues had the case stamped with the abbreviation for the “Ministerstwo Spraw Wojskowych”, which translates to the Ministry of Military Affairs.

The watches were made on contract by Swiss maker Zenith and channeled to the armed forced via their Warsaw based equipment supplier Z. Jeznacki. Jeznacki also supplied the army with compasses, examples of which have been shown elsewhere on this forum.

The 1934 and 1936 issues are essentially identical other than some differences in the style of the minute and hour hands, and of course, the date stamp.

These don’t pop up on the market too frequently, but when they do the prices are still relatively affordable. The last three that I have spotted all sold for roughly $250 - $300. This happens to be one of them.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Timepieces   Military Timepieces  

Military Timepieces  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony,very interesting,I have never seen any Polish
    watches or clocks before,do you have any Polish aircraft
    clocks to show?
    Regards Mike

Hello Mike,

Sorry, I do not own any aircraft clocks. These are my only two pre-war watches. I'll keep an eye out for you though. Maybe some of our Polish air force enthusiasts can chime in with something.

Regards,
    Tony

Mike mentioned clocks, and it didn’t occur to me at first to include this as it is technically not a military timepiece. But why not include any and all time keeping devices with a militaria theme? So I’ve dusted off this clock and snapped some pics.

This is a mantel clock made the the Lux Clock Mfg. Co. Waterbury Connecticut. It commemorates the approximately 20,000 volunteer soldiers from the United States and Canada who crossed the Atlantic to join General Haller’s Polish Army units and fought on several fronts from France in the later stages of WW1 through to the Polish-Bolshevik war in 1920.

The clock is made of brass plated white metal. It was made during the early 1930’s when the Lux line was expanded to include these metal cased wind up clocks. The case design has a very strong patriotic theme in the art deco style popular at the time. Prominent is the American Volunteers Cross reproduced in exact size and detail.

Oh, and the clock still works great!

Cheers,
    Tony

Military Timepieces  

?

I thought I would make a quick post and keep this thread alive. As a birthday present to myself, I picked up this pocket watch about three months ago. It is a 1920's Omega in a sterling silver case dedicated to the best shot in the NCO corps of the 11 PP in 1924. Runs well, looks great, and has an interesting history. What more could you ask for in a military watch?

Cheers,

Brandon

Thank Brandon for resuscitating another thread. Beautiful pocket watch. Agreed, it scores highly in all categories. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I hope to see more such pieces posted here . . . and maybe even add one of my own which Santa will hopefully deliver before long.

Cheers,
    Tony

Tony, very nice and seldom seen timepieces.....................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your kind words. It's certainly an interesting area of the hobby. Always eager to see more examples . . .

Cheers,
    Tony

A recent acquisition to add to this thread. This pocket watch bears the inscription:

“Award
    for Shooting
    with Light Machine Gun
    for the year 1939
    1st Place
    4th Infantry Regiment”
    Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast