Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego

Article about: Hello and happy Easter to all! I was in the Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego last weekend and took a few snaps, particularly of the new exhibit they have on WW1 - "Wielka Wojna 1914 – 1918: Praw

?

Default Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego

Hello and happy Easter to all!

I was in the Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego last weekend and took a few snaps, particularly of the new exhibit they have on WW1 - "Wielka Wojna 1914 – 1918: Prawdziwy koniec Belle Époque".

1) Miniature standard for the 64PP (would kill for that to be on my desk at work!)
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    2) Gen. Leon Berbecki's eagle-head saber
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    3) Gen. Jozef Haller's blue uniform
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    4) Gen. Haller's eagle-head saber
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    5) Polish Legion recruiting poster
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    6) Polish Legion uniforms
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    7) Officer's Patent (I'm just a huge fan of documents)
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    8) Polnische Wehrmacht uniform
    Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 04-05-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: correct rotation of photos

Love this museum - was there last time in 1990s.

Thanks for the photos.

pity the pics are sideways.

Hi Brandon, Happy Easter to you also, and all forum members.

Thanks for posting these, and lucky you to a take in the museum exhibit. The mini 64th Infantry standard is awesome. As is seeing General Berbecki's saber with the monogrammed wz.36 portepee. Wonderful to behold. Speaking of General Berbecki, and as we have a mutual love for documents, I've just finished framing up his award document for the 1st Class of the Order of Poland Restored "Polonia Restituta". Sorry, I don't mean to steer the thread off course, just sharing a quick pic.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Muzeum Wojsko Polskiego  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello Tony,

I always meant to ask, how did you come across that doc in the first place?

By the way, I seem to recall you saying that Berbecki's official biography didn't have him listed as holding the grand cross. Actually, it was announced as of 17 August 1938 at least on the front page of Gazeta Lwowska - Jagiellonian Digital Library - Gazeta Lwowska. 1938, nr 185.

Cheers and happy Easter,

B

Hi Brandon,

I very much appreciate the Gazeta Lwowska link. Thank you . That's a super bit of supporting info, which for a long time had been rather thin.

The doc was acquired from well-known Warsaw numismatic / militaria retailer with the initials A.N. It was one of those "how did this get out onto the market?" moments, which often immediately leads to an "I gotta buy this" moment.

As mentioned, provenance was sparse and all I could initially confirm was that Berbecki was awarded the 3rd Class Commander of the Order. Several sources, including Kryska-Karski's "Generałowie Polski Niepodległej", make no mention of him having received the Grand Cross. Eventually I found confirmation along with a comprehensive list that included Berbecki, although it was unexpected to find respected reference sources with holes in them.

Berbecki was one of the Second Republic bigwigs, part of a small group to have attained the most senior "three star general" rank – aka Generał Broni.

And incidentally, the Grand Cross, star and sash included is a genuine period set, although not actually Berbecki’s.

To get back onto the topic of his thread, I had thought photo taking was not permitted at the MWP. Have they relaxed their restrictions, or were you using your 007 briefcase camera again?

Regards, and thanks again,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Hello T.

I too thought for some reason that photographs were not allowed, so I didn't take my camera. I noticed some people taking photographs inside and decided to try my luck using the camera on my tablet. I am quite certain the docents saw me taking pics, but no one said anything. Perhaps my innate persuasive charm? ;-)

Cheers,

B

Great pics, thanks for posting them. I really need to get on a train and visit that place. Procrastination is my only excuse!

?

Next set of pics hopefully will be on Sunday. Took the week off and headed to Rzeszow and Przemsyl on Thursday. A few military place to hit up while there ;-)

Cheers,

B

Keep 'em coming Brandon!

Regards,
    T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast