MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with polish headgear

Article about: Hi, I need some help in giving this a correct model number/name. It was supposedly in Poland during the invasion but this is out of my range. I have a few more pieces of headgear to post in

englishmade
    ?

Default Need help with polish headgear

Hi,

I need some help in giving this a correct model number/name. It was supposedly in Poland during the invasion but this is out of my range.
    I have a few more pieces of headgear to post in other countries and would appreciate any help.
    They are from an old collection that is being distributed to family members and I am trying to help them with some value ranges.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help with polish headgear 

Default Re: Need help with polish headgear

Hello Steve,

This type of hat is called a "rogatywka" which roughly translates to "cornered hat", and is a "wz.35" = wzor 1935 = model or type 1935. It is for an infantry colonel (rank denoted by the twin piping runs along top of the blue hat band with three stars). The blue band indicates the infantry branch of the army.

This was the model of officer’s hat that was in use up until the outbreak of WW2.

If this is a bona fide pre-war made hat then it is rare and valuable. Today’s market value would easily be $1000 +. Are you able to provide any close up pictures, especially of the inside showing a maker’s label?

Regards,
    Tony

englishmade
    ?

Thanks Tony,

I do have more images but they are on my currently AWOL memory card but it will turn up. This was supposed just to be some casual opinions to help the family divide up the collection but a couple of pieces are complex' like this one.

The collector was a WW2 US bombardier and he started gathering stuff early, probably in the 1960's. I doubt if he bothered much with provenance then but I will contact the family and see what they have. It should all be recorded and documented anyway.

Steve

Hi again Steve,

Please do remember to post any and all pictures of Polish items should you find them. All of us here would be most interested to see what treasures might be unearthed.

Regards,
    Tony