Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New Virtuti Militari reference – who has theirs?

Article about: No doubt many of your have heard of the release of Wojciech Stela’s latest tome in his series, Volume 5 Part 1, devoted to the Order of the Virtuti Militari produced during the interwar peri

Default New Virtuti Militari reference – who has theirs?

New Virtuti Militari reference – who has theirs?

No doubt many of your have heard of the release of Wojciech Stela’s latest tome in his series, Volume 5 Part 1, devoted to the Order of the Virtuti Militari produced during the interwar period of the Polish 2nd Republic. A (hopefully) in depth study of the decoration holding the greatest interest for Polish 2nd republic militaria collectors is long overdue and much needed.

Based on the few images of the book’s contents available on the web, it seems not surprisingly to follow along the lines of his other books. Essentially images gleaned from auctions and collections accompanied by brief comments. Of course, we’re all hoping for a thorough study along the lines of that given to the Cross of Merit by Zbigniew Krotke. That effort is easily the best for any Polish decoration and sets the bar for all following collector references to meet. The VM is certainly deserving of such treatment.

I’ve ordered my copy, which seems to have taken the scenic route in its journey to my bookshelf. Ahead of diving into its pages I am interested in hearing how many of you have a copy and your thoughts. Does it live up to expectations? What new information did you find most interesting? Overall are pleased, or disappointed?

Regards,
    Tony

?

Overall, the best way to describe the book is that it is a typical Stela product. Lots of decent quality photos, descriptions, and price guides where possible. Overall, it is pretty comprehensive in displaying the different types of makes and models, including the government issued numbered versions. In the middle of the book is a two-page display with large photos that gives a good illustration of all the privately made versions. It also includes a section on French made versions and good overall history of the VM in the IIRP period.

Though it seems a substantial number of the really rare VMs come from the collection of Daniel Lambre - anyone familiar with this collection?

Cheers,

B

Mr. B, thank you for your comments. I'm eagerly anticipating my copy and obtaining some new information. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Lambre collection.

Anyone else out there have a copy of the book yet?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne