Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?

Article about: Hello Everyone, I have what appears to be a Polish legion badge (it's about 1 1/4 inches x 1 inch wide) that may be related to Pilsudski's riflemen, although that is the extent of what I kno

Default Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?

Hello Everyone,

I have what appears to be a Polish legion badge (it's about 1 1/4 inches x 1 inch wide) that may be related to Pilsudski's riflemen, although that is the extent of what I know about this badge, as I'm not familiar with pre-WW2 Polish items. The interesting thing about this is that the spinner for this badge has Russian rather than Polish on it. I understand that Poland prior to WW1 was part of 3 countries, two of which had Russian as the primary language (Russia and Prussia), and this may be the reason for the cyrillic letters on the spinner.

The spinner is a little worn out, although it says "oБРА-МЕTAЛ (Obra Metal)" which is roughly translated to Picture Metal, which is most likely the name of the company that had made this badge. Also, below the maker name, is "M.T.X.", although I'm not sure what this refers to.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the badge.

Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?

Does anyone recognize this badge and can tell me what it is, how old it is and where this would be worn on the uniform?

Thanks!
    Last edited by awmartin; 10-06-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Default Re: Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?

Hi Andrew,

You have a genuine pre-war commemorative badge for Piłsudski’s Riflemen's Association. It’s definitely Polish made, so the Russian spinner is a replacement. Below is a picture of one I have with what is most likely its original spinner. This badge came in two sizes, and I have seen non-enameled versions.

I’m not certain about exact date of production, but suspect that it is from the 1930’s. I don’t recall ever seeing the full size badge worn on a uniform, but have seen the miniature version mounted to the Sam Browne belt shoulder strap. This was a common location for mounting of small commemorative type badges. I’ll try to dig up a picture to illustrate this.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default Re: Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?

As promised, some pics of shoulder strap mounted badges. I recall seeing a mini of one of these rifleman badges mounted in this location but cannot locate the picture. However, it was the 'sport' badges were the main type mounted in this location.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?   Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?  

Pilsudski Rifleman Badge with Russian Spinner?  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne