MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Polish 1920 Commemorative award for American Volunteers.

Article about: Can anyone tell me if this is an authentic 2nd Republic 1920 Commemorative award for American Volunteers in General Haller's Blue Army in WW1 and the Polish Soviet War. What would be a reaso

Question Polish 1920 Commemorative award for American Volunteers.

Can anyone tell me if this is an authentic 2nd Republic 1920 Commemorative award for American Volunteers in General Haller's Blue Army in WW1 and the Polish Soviet War. What would be a reasonable price to pay for such an award. The back is complete flat with no makers mark. Is the ribbon correct for this award. Please excuse the obfuscation of the text. Thank you.

Default Re: Polish 1920 Commemorative award for American Volunteers.

I'm no expert y far, but it is the first medal like that I have seen, sorry I'm no help, it is interesting

Hi Dastier,

It's a copy. Posted below is a genuine cross on correct ribbon. Marked on reverse "W&HCO" (Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, N.J.). This particular cross sold in Poland back in late 2009 for the equivalent of about US$900.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish 1920 Commemorative award for American Volunteers.   Polish 1920 Commemorative award for American Volunteers.  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony, could the copy be the earlier first issue made upon the request of Marshall Pilsudski in the 1920? Thx.

Hi Dastier,

I may not understand your question, sorry. If you are asking if the cross you pictured is an early issue commissioned by Pilsudski then I can confidently say no. It is a modern cast copy. I own one of these as well. You can see that the quality falls far short of the authentic cross I posted – one of which I still remain on the hunt for

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

OK thank you Tony - you understood my question completely. I am now convinced it is a copy. I do not buy copies so I will pass. May I ask what you paid for your copy? The seller wants approximately 210 USD plus shipping for this item.

Thank you for all your help!

Hi again dastier,

I don’t remember exacty when, where or for how much I picked that copy up. Some years back I made a lot purchase containing both genuine pieces and a whole mess of copies and this cross was likely part of that. I still have it in a drawer somewhere – and its can be all yours for only half that seller’s asking price! Kidding of course. Probably only worth $25.

Cheers,
    Tony

Thanks Tony. I don't understand why dealers charge such outrageous prices. Once you find out - you hesitate to buy from such dealers anymore. Repeat business is the goal of any business.