Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish 8MM Ammo

Article about: Greetings, I was doing a bit of research on a Polish Mauser and I stumbled on this forum. Wow! I thought that some members might find my little horde of ammo interesting. About 30 years ago

61 N 150 W
    ?

Default Polish 8MM Ammo

Greetings,
    I was doing a bit of research on a Polish Mauser and I stumbled on this forum. Wow!

I thought that some members might find my little horde of ammo interesting.

About 30 years ago I was a very active cartridge collector. I was at a gun show in Chicago and I came upon some boxed pre-war Polish 8MM Mauser ammo. I bought it all. Another more knowledgeable collector told me he thought they had come from the middle-east, where they had been sold off as surplus after WWII.

The boxes are all full, here are pictures of each of the different boxes I have.

The headstamps on the cartridges in the 1930 dated box are: Pk/29/DZ/67/

I guess the cases were made in 1929 and loaded in 1930, 67 indicates a brass cartridge case with an alloy of 67% copper, an expedient developed by the Germans during WWI.

The headstamps on the cartridges in the 1937 dated box labeled “WYTW. AM. No 1” are: N/36/N/67/

The headstamps on the cartridges in the 1939 dated box labeled “scal. III. 1939 rok” are: Pk/37/N/67/

Again it looks like the cases were made in 1937 but not loaded until 1939.

7.92X107MM Polish Anti-Tank Rifle Cartridge, shown next to a 8X57MM Mauser round for comparison.

The headstamp of the 7.92X107MM round is: eagle 38 N 67

Can anyone tell me who the manufacturers were? What the loads were? I suspect “Sc” is the equivalent of the German Ss load, a 196 grain bullet, it looks like one box is the old “S” load, a 150 grain bullet, were these made for different weapons or did one replace the other?

I do not know if these would be considered rare, I have never seen any others.

I can’t help but get a little melancholy looking at them; I would rather that they had been shot off back in 1939. But I guess you can understand.
    Regards from Alaska,
    Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish 8MM Ammo   Polish 8MM Ammo  

Polish 8MM Ammo   Polish 8MM Ammo  

Polish 8MM Ammo  

Default Re: Polish 8MM Ammo

Thanks for posting these pics and the info about them.

?

They were all made at ..Pantswowa Wytwornia Uzbrojenia (national armament factory) Fabryka Ammunicji,Skarzysko-Kamienna,Poland. Nice collection...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Well like Jeff, I too bought 10 boxes of 7.92 Mauser ammunition at the Ohio Gun Collectors Show (OGCA) held in Cleveland, Ohio some 18 plus years ago. This is long

before I had a Polish Mauser rifle or even any authentic Polish militaria.......I did fall prey to the early imported Panasuik regimental badges being sold as "original".

The dealer had crates of surplus Polish ammo. He claimed they came from the USSR reserves. I bought one each of every date they range in date from 1934 up to 1939.

I suspect it may have been captured by either the Germans or Russians or both and held in reserves. I can't believe that the Polish troops in French controlled Lebanon carried out that much when they went to Palestine after the fall of France.

cheers,
    Piwo

Great looking collection Jeff. Thanks for sharing, and welcome aboard

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne